Yet Another Newbee question

1969zeitler

Yet Another Newbee question

Post by 1969zeitler »

Getting ready to buy a harness. Monoposto rule requires a 6-point. Looking for opinions on Latch vs Camlock and Pull-up vs pull-down adjustment. Also.. on a 6-point, where do the 2 front straps attach to the car and how do they route around your legs. thanks!
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
John Deonarine

Re: Yet Another Newbee question

Post by John Deonarine »

Go with the Camlock

John
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

1969zeitler wrote:Getting ready to buy a harness. Monoposto rule requires a 6-point. Looking for opinions on Latch vs Camlock and Pull-up vs pull-down adjustment. Also.. on a 6-point, where do the 2 front straps attach to the car and how do they route around your legs. thanks!
Camlock is better. Easier to undo and lock in the car. You want "pull up" adjustment on the hip straps, and pull down on the shoulder straps for a formula car. Some belts, like the Willans, are fixed length hip/thigh belts, so you adjust them once and you are done. Not my favorite, but some people like them.

The submarine straps on a 6-point bolt in under the seat, in the center, under your crotch. Mine are mounted into the floorpan on the same single bolt. They usually come up through a hole in the seat. They loop through the side belts into the camlock, or they snap into slots on the camlock section on their own, and they come up "submarine" on each side of the twins, just like you'd think.

I'll be putting a new set of belts in my car soon, probably a Schroth 6-point Hybrid 2 belt in the HANS version. Nice belt, and the quality is top notch.

HTH,

doug
brian

Post by brian »

I really like the racequip stuff. Good quality and great prices. SR can fix you up.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

The submarine straps on a six-point formula-style harness should be bolted to the same fixed point as the lap belts on each side so they wrap under your thigh. They bolt through the side framerails on my Citation, not to the floor pan.
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

What Matt described is how mine are set up. Mine are SafeQuip. SafeQuip was very accommodating when I called to have my belts re-webbed - great to work with. I got the HANS style belts and our chief tech inspector used them as an example to show the tech squad, since he liked how they were done. John