working on the shifter...

1969zeitler

working on the shifter...

Post by 1969zeitler »

Magivering a shifter mechanism using a Craftsman 1/2 inch universal. As I am putting it together, I realize that the other 2 joints were made from SK Wayne Universals! Who Knew...

My Question... As I was trying to find 1st gear to set the length of the push/pull rod, I realized that the shift pattern seems to be opposite of the stock beetle I.E. 1st gear is actually to the right and up and 3rd is to the left and up. Is this right or am I missing something...
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: working on the shifter...

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

Shift should be the same as the stock Beetle:

1 3

2 4

R

1st top left, 2nd bottom left, 3rd top right, 4th bottom right

Dietmar
brian

Post by brian »

When adjust shifting linkage, I start with 3rd gear. Which is rotated completely clockwise on the shifter hockey stick and pushed in. I then put the cockpit shifter lever where I want it and tighten. Make sure the linkage mechanism is not all the way to the end of travel or hitting anything. Try getting 4th (straight back), if you're getting 3rd and 4th, you're half way home.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I guess I was just looking at it wrong... tHANKS
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

fv22

Post by fv22 »

Roger,
Since you're in Orlando, you should come to Sebring this weekend for the Turkey Trot. There are 7 vees registered so you can see several different set ups.
Bob
FV22
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I may try. I take care of my wifes 92 year old Dad and my 2 year old grand daughter (when I'm not working on my VEE!!). Thwy both require about the same amount of my time and attention! Maybe I can come down on Saturday morning for a while. I managed to get to the last two weekends at Daytona, but that is only 30 minutes away. I'll see what I can do.

Maybe see you there!

Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Made it to Sebring today. What a track! Met a bunch of nice VEE folks from this site.Thanks to John and Bob for showing me around and some great advice on my car. I had a great time and got some great photos too! Thanks!
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now