brake line questions

1969zeitler

brake line questions

Post by 1969zeitler »

Getting ready to do brake lines and need more advice. My Zeitler has a 1 piece hard line from the master cylinder to a VW TEE at the rear. There is nothing else to the rear or to the front. It has 2 old 3/4 inch Lockheed cylinders, 1 for the front and one for the back. Both need to be replaced. I was looking at the 3/4 Wilwood remote tank units (the Lockheeds are very narrow and are mounted on a tandem bracket that I want to use again). My questions are:

1. What thread size is the VW hard line?

2. Where do I get an adapter to go from the Wilwood 3/8 x 24 thread to the VW Metric thread on the hard line?

3. Should I convert everything to SAE and get adapters for the wheels cylinders?

4. Should I use braided brake lines to the cylinders (versus VW rubber lines).

5. Any other advice on brakes?

Thanks again.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
Veefan

Re: brake line questions

Post by Veefan »

Vee Sport and SR Racing can supply you with all the fitting, masters and braided lines you'll need, metric solid lines can be picked up at any auto parts store. I run one solid line from the front of the car to the rear. It is attached to the master cylinder via a braided line in front and a tee in the back with steel braded lines out to the wheel cylinders. In front a small solid lineup to the beam to a tee and then all the way out with braided lines to the wheel cylinders. Rather than try and bend steel lines, it's easier to run flexible braided lines all the way out to the wheel cylinders. In a crash... the braided lines will give a little and hopefully keep the brakes working.
FVartist

Post by FVartist »

A tip on your braided line front and rear, lf you can try to make them all equal length. That way you can carry one and it will fit at any corner. I would also make sure they are run behind the beam and swing arms. They will be protected a little more.
Left Coast Formula Car Board
http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

1969zeitler wrote: 3. Should I convert everything to SAE and get adapters for the wheels cylinders?
If you're basically rebuilding the system from scratch, that's the best route. You can use common AN-3 and SAE adapter fittings that are readily available from just about any race shop. You can get premade 3/16 steel brake hardlines in various sizes at an auto parts store, or if you have a good double-flaring tool, you can cut and reflare bulk hardline to fit your chassis.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

These are all some great ideas. Thanks for the help and advice. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

on the AN braided lines.... use #3 or #4? Thanks again
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

brian

Post by brian »

Either one will be fine.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
fvracer

Post by fvracer »

Roger,

Most people use -3 for the brakes and -4 for the clutch, if that helps. I don't know that it makes any difference.

Doug
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

AN-3 equates to a 3/16 inch hard line, by far the most common size used in braking systems.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Once again, THANKS EVERYONE. I have decided to go with AN-3 lines off the wheel cylinders with AN to Metric adapters and then run 3/16 hard lines to the front and back and to the master cylinders. I will try to make all the braided lines about the same length (great idea for spares!). I appreciate all the welcome advice.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now