floor pans

1969zeitler

floor pans

Post by 1969zeitler »

Can't find a clear rule on this. I am building a Monoposto-rule Vintage Vee (don't know if that makes any difference). Does the floor have to be one continuous piece? Having trouble finding a sheet of aluminum 65 inches long. 24 inches seems to be the longest available here in Orlando. The Monoposto rules do not state whether it has to be one piece or if you can butt 2 pieces together or overlap them. Anyone know? Thanks.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
brian

Re: floor pans

Post by brian »

Aluminum sheets come in 4x8 so you can find a one piece but you'll pay a premium for cutting and leftover. Unless you have a mjor problem I'd go with steel. It will add strength to your old style frame and protect your butt better. Aluminum can peel back if struck from below and catch a seam.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Roger,
AFAIK, there has NEVER been a rule that required the floor pan to be 1 continuous piece. In the case of MY cars, I use 2 pieces of aluminum (.030?) for the floor of the car. HOWEVER, my BUTT and FEET sit on 2 smaller pieces of STEEL sheet (about the same thickness) that will support me should the belly pan be completely torn off. The butt plate is suspended about 1" above the AL floor pan, but the foot plate has contact with the pan. I overlap the AL sheets such that the rear sheet goes on first and the front sheet overlaps by about 6 inches. That way, the most likely direction of any impetus (forward) would be such that the overlap would allow 'sliding' across it. It has served me well for over 30 years of racing FV :mrgreen: . (The steel is attached with it's own fasteners and the AL sheet has it's own fasteners.) I do have to replace the (pop rivet) fasteners about once a year.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
FamilyWilson

Post by FamilyWilson »

Hello. I also have a question about floor pans. Do they have to be removable or can you weld a single continuos piece of steel to the inside perimeter of the frame?
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

There are no restrictions on how many 'pieces' there are of "floor pan", nor are there any restrictions on how it is attached. (Unless someone else knows of some rule that I am not aware of). At least in the SCCA GCR.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Stitch weld a steel floor pan. Do not weld it with a continuous bead. The former owner of one of my cars found out the hard way that a continuous weld can warp the frame. It cost him a fair chunk of change to straighten.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

I continuously weld the steel pans to my cars. But I do it in approimatly 1" increments and go from side to side and jump around as I do it. Most cars will have a slight bend in the frame from welding all of the tubes to the top of the frame in the building process so welding on a steel pan will actually take out the bend. I use two peices of steel for my pans and am switching over to stainless so you don't have to worry about rust especially under the fuel cell. I also weld them on from the bottom by making them slightly larger than the opening and the only problem is when the frame drags under braking it will wear them down on the front of the frame so I weld on a peice of 1/8" x 1" strap at front of the frame so it can wear instead. You will also have to cut a hole in it for the transponder to work thorough but you need holes to drain out the rain and water from washing the car.

I actually recomend welding them on because it makes the frame pretty strong which is a safety issue for me, plus you don't have to worry about it getting ripped off in an accident.

Ed
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Ed, that is what I meant when I said to stitch weld. The shop that put the floor in my car for the previous owner started at one place and welded all the way around. Also the car was on jack stands. I bet your chassis are in a jig when you weld in the floors.

BTW, if I had the money (which I don't), I'd be on the phone with you discussing the possibility of building the ultimate SoloVee.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

Lynn wrote:BTW, if I had the money (which I don't), I'd be on the phone with you discussing the possibility of building the ultimate SoloVee.
Maybe you should be on the phone with him to finish this car into a SoloVee. http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/v ... f=6&t=2941

Just a suggestion.
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Lynn,

Actually the vee is clamped to a steel table during it's construction but after all of the welding is done except for the very bottom which unreachable because it is on the table. I then do the final welding of the bottom which isn't much and then do the body tabs for the cowling since I do them from inside using old bodywork as templates and the turn the frame over and weld on the bottom peices. When the bottom is welded the frame actually is pretty straight since the welding the pan on compensates for the welding on the top for the tubing.

Lynn call me about a possible solution for a solo chassis for you. 240-350-0070

Ed
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Ed, I don't have the money. Maybe someday, but not now.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee