Back to vintage?

jaymzz

Back to vintage?

Post by jaymzz »

I own a 1970 Lynx formula vee. The last owner swapped it over to disc brakes and a 1776 engine. I also have a 1957 Beetle that has been sitting since the 1960's. Well I have been trying to sell the vee as is without any luck so I was thinking about freeing the brakes up on the beetle and swapping everything out to the vee so my beetle will be mechanically sound and trying to sell the vee as a vintage car. The vee wouldn't run and need lots of work with the old beetle parts on it. What would it be worth in this condition? would the vee be considered vintage again? Here is a link to my build thread on this site. http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/v ... f=8&t=2897 I want the vee gone so I can pay for my new car and clear up some room in the garage. Any help is appreciated.
72jeff

Re: Back to vintage?

Post by 72jeff »

save the oval :mrgreen:
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

I want to save the oval but need to sell the vee to pay for my new car. I bought a Formula 500 from a friend on the agreement to pay it off when the vee sells. But the longer the vee sits the more I think about putting the running gear into the beetle. That is why I am wondering how much I could sell the vee for with the old running gear in it.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Read 72 Jeff's reply. KEEP THE OVAL, KEEP THE OVAL,KEEP THE OVAL

It is worth much more than you will ever get for the Vee- no matter what configuration.

Just my 02 cents

Dietmar
72jeff

Post by 72jeff »

I had an all original '57 as my daily driver for over two years......sold it to buy my first vee :mrgreen: I still have my '67 bus though
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

I will never sell the 57. My dad bought it new and gave it to me after about 20 years of asking him about it. It is in my plans to start restoring it in the next 2-3 years when I get some other projects done first, but for now I just want this vee gone. As I keep looking at it sitting in the garage I keep thinking about putting the running gear from the vee into the 57 and my wife will not be happy about that at all. I have to get my Subaru done first and a new kitchen and bathroom before I can start on the 57. :cry:
ajax

Post by ajax »

It would seem to me the best bet, would be to keep the vee as an autocross car to sell. In looking at pictures, I believe the frame is more likely a knock off of a Lynx, the trailing arms look wrong, the dash area is not original and last the body is way off. While as a whole the vintage vee race groups are not a snobby bunch, a knock off of an original vee or a one off vee is just worth less money then a known builder brand. To make your vee vintage correct and safe would cost a bunch more then a potential vintage vee sale price. Seems if you bought as an autocross vee, others would be interested also? It just needs to be marketed to the right group at a fair price, even in this economy someone will be interested! Good luck