FV to FST front beam

1969zeitler

FV to FST front beam

Post by 1969zeitler »

Is the ball joint beam the same dimension between the 2 tubes as the Kingpin? I have not found a site that really tells how to convert a FV to FST. Trying to see if a ball joint beam will fit in the same place as a kingpin without modification to the front of the FV frame. I thought someone said the tubes were farther apart on a ball joint beam.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
Bill_Bonow

Re: FV to FST front beam

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Roger,

Switching over beams is easy if you have some basic mechanical skills. Here is a snipit of an article I wrote on converting FV to FST on the ball joint beam mounting info you're looking for.

When you first get your new beam you will notice that the four mounting holes are not spaced the same vertically. You can use three methods, the first is to weld a plate over the beam mounting holes then drill the 1200 pattern into the beam. The second thing is to use the bottom holes to mount to your frame and then re-drill the upper holes in the beam. You can go one step further and modify the beam mounting holes on the chassis and change the hole location to match the ball joint mounting pattern.

The beam tube spacing is wider on the ball joint beam which could mean bodywork issues, but typically they are minor.

I'll get the article posted at http://www.formula-first.org and link it to a few sites.
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
1969zeitler

Re: FV to FST front beam

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks Bill. I am getting a 2nd FV to autocross and thought I might build it as a FST. I'll be looking for your links. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.