Fire Suit question

remmers

Re: Fire Suit question

Post by remmers »

personally a mid guy myself. I'd never go to low cut because i think it would expose the socks, and thus one less layer between you and bad stuff.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Never like hi-top tennis shoes either. Seems like when you are driving almost prone that they would bind up when you pushed on the pedals. Think I will go with the mids and I will save up for a multi-layer suit. I see a lot of SFA3.2/5 suits on Ebay that are cheaper than buying a new single layer. Any issues with buying a used suit?
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Other than you have no idea of how it has been treated. Off EBAY can always be a risk. Give us a call if you are interested in a new suit. We carry several brands than will probably fit your budget and requirements.

Jim
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Will do Jim. Thanks.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

ok... 2 more questions on suits. I have found a supplier of used SFI/5 suits that were only used for 1 or 2 races and are near perfect.

Any opinions on 1 piece versus 2-piece.

Monoposto rules just say a Nomex Suit is required... nothing about SFI certification. Is FIA Certification ok?

Thanks again.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

John Deonarine

Post by John Deonarine »

Go with the one piece
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

1969zeitler wrote:Any opinions on 1 piece versus 2-piece.
Two-piece suits are for drag racers. Don't do it. The last thing you need is for the suit to split at your waist in a fire. Really no reason to use a 2-piece suit in ANY situation, as far as I'm concerned.

Monoposto rules just say a Nomex Suit is required... nothing about SFI certification. Is FIA Certification ok?
From the SCCA GCR:

Driving suits that effectively cover the body from the neck to the ankles and wrists. One piece suits are highly recommended. All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label or FIA 1986 Standard or FIA 8856-2000 homologation label. Underwear of fire resistant material shall be used except with suits carrying FIA 1986 Standard, or FIA 8856-2000 label or SFI 3.2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) Certification Patch.

US standards usually follow the SFI certification, and international is FIA. They use different methods for testing product, but both result in essentially the same outcome. I believe SFI does in-house testing on product materials, where FIA farms out testing of actual products to be certified. FIA certification is a world-wide requirement for garments, but it is not the only game in town for U.S. sanctioning bodies. The SFI is more prominent in most U.S. racing organizations, and some require ONLY a SFI cert. Check with your organization to be sure, but 99.9% of all rulebooks will accept FIA certifications in lieu of SFI markings.

The only real difference is that if you buy a driver's suit from the UK, it might not be SFI certified, but FIA only. You might be competing in a sanctioning body that requires SFI but it would be pretty rare. Best to check before you buy to make sure. FIA certification, when it comes right down to it, is just as good, if not better than SFI mandates.

I know cost is usually a factor with most people, but when it comes to safety equipment and your skin/body, don't cut corners. Personally, I prefer a 3-layer suit with underwear, and the best that I can afford. You only get one skin, and in a fire, every second matters.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

1 piece it is! Thanks....
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks for all the great advice. I bought a 3 layer suit that was used in one race and then they lost their sponsor so they gave him a new suit with the new sponsor all over it. The old one had to go and I got it at a great price. Now I get to remove the sponsors patches and replace them with the SCCA patches. It is like brand new. I also bought a new set of underwear so I should be well protected, just in case. Helmet is next. Thanks again!
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now