Chrome wheel suppliers

hars550

Chrome wheel suppliers

Post by hars550 »

Does anyone have a name of a good company I can purchase a set of chrome wheels from for
my 67 Vintage Vee?
billinstuart

Re: Chrome wheel suppliers

Post by billinstuart »

Most of the chrome wheels I've seen have been 4.5" wide.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Check with Bob or Jim, for a while the chrome wheels were out of spec. and there was a problem mounting race tires on them. You would have to run the 4 1/2" wheels on all axles.
Dave
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

As stated above, most of the available chrome wheels are 4-1/2" wide and also increase your track. This has been allowed for (up to 52" track front, similar increase back) in the SCCA rules. It may or may not fly with your vintage group. Check to be sure.

The tire mounting problem is also something to be aware of. Most of these wheels have a significant safety bead which can make mounting some race tires next to impossible. It is tire design specific so maybe vintage tires will mount OK. I don't know.

Truly a case of "buyer beware".
Bruce
cendiv37
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

If your running it as a 67 vintage vee and not in SCCA racing you'll be fine

monoposto rules state

V. WHEELS AND TIRES

Wheels shall be standard 1192 cc VW sedan (4"), slotted 1300 sedan (4"), or standard (non-offset or reversed) 4.5" chrome VW sedan.
Any type and size of tire (radial, bias-ply or factory treaded racing) that may be safely fitted to the above specified rims may be used. Slick, hand-grooved, special wet racing tires, or recapped tires are NOT allowed. Minimum overall rear tire diameter is 24

Minimum weight, without fuel or driver is 825 pounds, wheelbase is minimum 81.5"; maximum 83.5" and track is front 51.4"; rear 50.7" (standard VW sedan). A small tolerance is allowed for cars using the permitted 4.5" rims. Overall length is minimum 123" and maximum 127" with the body depth at firewall: min. 25" and maximum 34"."