brake bedding

nick_fv71

brake bedding

Post by nick_fv71 »

I recently ordered Carbotech brakes and haven’t had a chance to install until today—I’ve got a race this weekend and I’m wondering if since I won’t really have a chance to bed the brakes properly, if I’d be better off leaving the stock shoes on for this weekend and waiting until I have a chance to bed them correctly. The shoes that are on the car now are acceptable, but I wanted a little more confidence when I’m going into turn one from 160 mph :shock: . On a side note, is it possible to bed brakes in the paddock and how would I go about doing that?
smsazzy

Re: brake bedding

Post by smsazzy »

160MPH? We better check the measurement of the bends in your manifold. That sounds a bit high.

Do you have a practice session or a test session? You can bed them in then. Just go real easy on them for a couple laps, then push them to really build up some heat, then bring them back in and let them cool completely.

Make sure you start with them backed off a couple extra clicks, as they will swell when they get hot. I keep them backed off a bit more than usual for the first few sessions.

Hope this helps!
Stephen Saslow
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR