oil filter location

paulb42

oil filter location

Post by paulb42 »

I recently purchased a vintage vee and have been trying to clean up some of wiring, etc.

Currently the oil filter is mounted horizontally on the frame of the car (see photo of black filter)

I was thinking of mounting the oil filter vertically between the engine and the firewall (see photo of white filter). That way I don't have to run such long oil lines and the filter won't dump oil all over the header during oil changes.

It seems like the obvious spot for the filter. Is there any reason that I wouldn't want to mount the oil filter here?

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Thanks,

Paul
hardingfv32-1

Re: oil filter location

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

It looks like a good location but make sure you can route and install the oil lines with the engine in place. Could be more to it than meets the eye.

Brian
shirleymac

Post by shirleymac »

The oil filter in my car is mounted vertically to the left side of the firewall. It's kind of a tight fit but it is easy to get to to change.

Tony
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

And why would you guys be worried about an filter change? Basically only need to change filters when you blow an engine or the engine is out for service. The service life of the short block is much shorter than the filter. Or maybe you are inspecting the filter element for diagnostic purposes. What lab do you use?

Brian
paulb42

Post by paulb42 »

Thanks for the responses. I am mainly just trying to clean up the long oil lines which also make it more difficult to access the distributor. Good point about the frequency of oil changes. I just acquired the car and have dropped out the oil that was in it, but I guess that won't be part of the normal maintenance schedule once I really get the car going.

I was just more concerned about whether there would be any unforseen cooling issues by locating the filter between the block and firewall.

Thanks again,

Paul
ajax

Post by ajax »

Cooling a vintage vee can some times be a problem. Some vintage groups require use of the original fan, as I see in your pictures you have. In the old days and now again, many folks run the fan belt very loose and or greased up so it stops turning at higher engine RPM thus increasing top end speed. As air cooling is stopped at this point, you need all the help you can get from the oil to help carry the heat away. More oil in the lines can't hurt, plus having the filter in the coolest place possible seems like a good idea too, when picking a place to mount a filter?
brian

Post by brian »

Make sure the vintage rules under which you run allow filters. Some don't
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

Just be careful with the oil lines. DO NOT REVERSE THEM! I did and did two laps and a tow truck ride at Daytona.

John
fv42
brian

Post by brian »

If you can mount the oil filter below the fill line of the crankcase, reading of the dip stick may be simplified. I always recommend checking the oil at idle when remote filters and lines are involved.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
paulb42

Post by paulb42 »

Thanks for the tips guys. That should give me enough to go on.

Paul