Log book???

jaymzz

Log book???

Post by jaymzz »

I am completely new to the vee world, and anything but drag racing. I am trying to figure everything out about my car and what I need to do to make it SCCA compliant. But one of the areas I am having trouble with is the log book. I have searched for info, and not really coming up with to much. The log book that came with the car doesn't have much in it at all. I am not sure if I am reading the SCCA website correctly. It says something about a Homologation. What is it? Do I pay them and send in the form and they come and inspect it? Here is the site I am looking at. http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=79#3

If the manufactures identification that is on the main hoop has been welded over and not readable, will I have issues with SCCA? The log book does not have any of that info in it. It just has a little info about the hoop size and what class it's in. I am sorry if this has been asked before. I am just trying to learn and figure out my car.
jpetillo

Re: Log book???

Post by jpetillo »

There are many folks on this list that have been with SCCA for quite some time and can answer your questions more completely. Yes, the log books don't really say much, and my latest logbook issued just this year doesn't have all the blanks filled in - like for the first two pages. However, the ID number of the car should be on the front cover of the book (this is the case for my log books, which are 1991 and newer). That number should be on the rollbar. It can be very faint and may have a few coats of paint on it. Mine was so hard to read through the paint that I could only decipher it after reading the number off the log book. So, maybe just look closer. Good luck, John
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

I just spoke to the National office yesterday about getting an SCCA logbook for my XTC, which only has a Midwest Council logbook now. Fortunately I got the original homologation certificate for the car, so all I will need to do is have an inspector look at the car, show him the certificate, and can get a logbook issued and have an annual inspection performed. Any new cars registered after 1983 need to go through the homologation process, which means sending photos of the chassis to the National office and applying for the certificate, but I'm not sure if that applies to a car that has an existing logbook, or if you need to have a copy of the homolgation certification to update the logbook.
Dave Gomberg

Post by Dave Gomberg »

The first question is: what is the date of the log book. If it is 1983 or later, you do need the homologation certificate. Since you have an existing log book, you can ask for a replacement certificate, but is isn't cheap ($200). If it is pre-1983, you don't need the certificate. After you settle the certificate question, as long as you can locate the log book number on the roll hoop, you can just get an annual inspection and go race it. If the required photos are not in the log book, fix that before the inspection. You need to check that your harness hasn't expired. If you look at GCR section 9.3, you can see the things that will be looked at in an annual inspection.

Dave
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks for your reply's. The log book does have a date in it from 2003. The front of the log book has a number and under it says re issue. There is not any pictures in it. The first and only event entry in the book lists a lot of issues with the car. I am updating the main hoop next weekend. That way it is taller and a thicker wall diameter. I also am updating the belts. It has a missed matched 4 way that all is expired. The main hoop has been added on to to make it taller. Who ever did it welded over the numbers. I can see a couple of numbers, but that is it. I am going to cut it off to see if I can salvage a few more numbers. I am going to call SCCA next week and see if they have any info on my car from the log book number.
I also wanted to add that it is a 1970 Lynx. I live in Salem Oregon. If there is anyone local that would like to come over and give me some pointers and tell me about my car, that would be greatly appreciated.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Can't get to Salem, but this might help.

The number on the front of the log book is your roll bar number. The first two digits are the region of record. This is where the log book was issued.

I doubt that someone welded over the numbers- they are usually a ways up on one of the legs on the roll bar, but anything is possible. There should also be a small hole - for inspection. Just be sure to check what is legal in the GCR when you get around to replacing the roll bar. Parts added to a roll bar to make it taller as usually not legal (to meet height requirements)

Dietmar
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

There is a couple of numbers visible. Here is a couple of pictures of the main hoop. I tried to get the numbers to show up in the picture but couldn't. Where do I drill a hole for inspection? There is so many holes drilled in the original hoop, so I don't know where it should be.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Are you running this Vee in Solo 1? I see the twin carbs in the picture. Do you even need a logbook for Solo 1?
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

I am reading all the SCCA rules tonight. I want to road race it eventually. I don't think it will be done this year for road race due to not having a good body for it and funds. I will be doing autocross and hill climbs with it which doesn't require a log book. But I would like to know what I need to do so I can get it ready for road racing. I was under the assumption that it being an open wheeled car it had to have a log book. Plus I think the log book is a very cool thing to have for the reason of being able to track the history of the car. I have been seeing on this site people talking about the history of there cars from the log book.
I dropped off my measurements for the main hoop today and the guy making it for me said that I might be able to run the continental class. So I will be looking into that later tonight also. Buying this car has been a huge learning curve for me and for a while I felt I was losing the battle to the point I was thinking about selling it and sticking with cars. But this site has changed my thoughts. I am very excited to be able to run it on the road coarse at the local track someday.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The disk brakes aren't legal for Club racing. I think we may have discussed that in another thread.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Dave Gomberg

Post by Dave Gomberg »

jaymzz wrote:... I am going to call SCCA next week and see if they have any info on my car from the log book number. ...
The National office cannot give you any information about the car based on the log book number because they don't issue them. As noted below, the first two digits of the log book number is the number of the region that issued it. The regions are supposed to keep a list of the log books they issue. If you post that number, I'll let you know which region it is from and then how to contact their tech people. Their records should show the original issue date. If it was before 1983, you won't need a homologation certificate - that seems likely to be the case since it is a 1970 model.

Dave
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks Dave. The number on the front of the log book is 96-179, and the date inspected is 9-29-03 by a Rudy Avala T.I. license number 243583.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The car didn't wander away from home. Oregon Region is 96, http://www.oregonscca.com
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Dave Gomberg

Post by Dave Gomberg »

As Lynn said, Oregon Region. Neither the region web site nor the region's listing in the SCCA Directory lists the chiefs of specialties. However, the region has an office. You can call or email Karen McCoy at 503-224-9469 or office@oregonscca.com and ask how to contact the chief of tech. The region is holding a tech day on Feb 21 at PIR (see the region web site).

Dave
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks everyone! I just e-mailed them. I have to say that this is an awesome community. People are offering to help me in more ways that I expected, and I think that is really nice. So thank you.
brian

Post by brian »

The main thing I see is the saddle or extension on the roll bar. Not legal. The roll bar must be a continuous loop.

A few points about log books. The entire front of the book must be filled out and have pictures. Always carry a COPY of the homoligation papers. As was mentioned, it's $200 for a replacement. Hint: since it's a lot cheaper for a new certificate, just submit pictures and papers for a new homoligation. It's SCCA's rules and prices not mine.

The roll bar numbers are a separate deal. If you can't find the roll bar numbers, and you have the proper log book, stamp your own numbers. Make sure your roll bar structure have the inspection holes drilled in the proper locations.( check the GCR for details.) Some older roll bars are bigger than required now but that's no problem. The demensions mentioned in the GCR are minimums. If you have an older 1.5 dia/,120 wall, mild steel roll bar, it's legal. If it's less than 1.375 in dia., not legal at any wall thickness.

Finally, there is no clear concise way of determining when the original log book is no longer applicable and has to be replaced. Upgrades, crash damage repairs and even entire frame replacements do not require a new log book. There's been many new vees built on an old log book. If the car moves to a different class it requires re-homoligation and a new log book. That is unless you are running a DSR in CSR. That was a gift from the club to preserve CSR as a class.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.