Cracked case

fv62

Cracked case

Post by fv62 »

I have a case that has a crack in the flywheel area that is behind number 3 cylinder. It also runs on the top from the flywheel area. The case is a 1500 case. Can this be welded or should I trash the case or set it on fire. :?:
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Cracked case

Post by Dietmar »

Without seeing the case (and the crack) it is difficult to say. However, from what you describe, this is a normal area to weld on cases that will see enlarged bores ( like 92mm). So, anything is possible.

Trash it? Cases are over $450 right now.

Burn it? Be careful, they are difficult to put out.

Dietmar
brian

Post by brian »

There's always a possibilty that a case will warp when welded and will require line boring. If the cam bore is tweeked, it's even worse since over size cam bearings are very rare. I agree with Dietmar, buy a new case.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

How good is your engine?
How much money do you have to spend on your racing?
Is it a DIY engine or do you pay someone to do your engine work?

I would spend $100 with a good welder and get the case repaired if it is a decent case otherwise. I have seen this done several times with no problems .... but it depends on your situation. If you are spending $20K per year to run at the front .... then do it right and get a new case. There will be the expense of redoing deck heights, valve lifts, and upgrading of components, etc as you change the case. If you reuse the repaired case, then you are just putting it all back together with all the same interaction of parts, and a minimum of fuss .... fresh bearings and a freshen-up. You'll get in a another race event or two with your savings!

Good luck!

PS .... I would put the case together and torque it before giving to the welder.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"