Headrest location and material

Matt King

Headrest location and material

Post by Matt King »

I need to install a better headrest in my new Citation XTC. Is affixing a high density foam pad to the firewall sufficient, or should there be some additional bracing added to the roll bar to mount it?
hardingfv32-1

Re: Headrest location and material

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Head rest is required to withstand a 200 lb force. I would say that is about what one leg is capable pushing. So, do you think you can bend the firewall with your foot/leg?

The padding is much more complicated. You don't want your head spring off the head rest while you body is restrained. This is a very common cause of whiplash. Very hard to get what is specified in the GCR in sheet stock. The next best is the yellow or blue camping sleeping pads.

Brian
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

My current car has the headrest bolted to the firewall, the firewall is bolted to the frame (no pop rivits). I had a problem in tech last year with sleeping pad foam, they said the sleeping bag foam had too much spring. SR has SFI Approved High Density Foam cut to your size.
Last edited by Veefan on January 19th, 2009, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

But is your firewall good for a 200 lb force.

If you can get the specified foam, then do that. It is the correctly engineered material.

Brian
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

I can get the proper SFI high density foam sheet from Pegasus, the question I have is about supporting it. Do some cars have bracing added to the rollbar for this compared to using the firewall?
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The design is up to you and your engineer. Most cars have a brace to the roll bar to remove any doubt, but it is not mandatory. Your goal is to not be able to move the head rest pushing with one leg. Post a photo of your firewall and we can voice our opinions.

Brian
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

jb_11

Post by jb_11 »

I forget the exact wording in the GCR, but I think it specifies a non-resilient foam pad 1" think covering 36 sq in. Ethafoam is one of the types they recommend. This was the best deal I found when I was shopping several years ago:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2078

This will provide you more than enough to do your headrest. You can use the extra as a kneeling pad to save your knees while working on the car. :mrgreen:
-JB
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The reference to Ethafoam has been removed from the headrest rule. The only reason the SFI material is not mandatory is it is hard to inspect after it is cover and installed. The SFI material is correctly engineered for this application and should be used.

Brian
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

[quote="Matt King"]I need to install a better headrest in my new Citation XTC. Is affixing a high density foam pad to the firewall sufficient, or should there be some additional bracing added to the roll bar to mount it?[/quote]

I fabricated a brace that went across the chassis, tying into the bolts holding the rear cross braces on. I assume they are there on the XTC as on the standard Citation? This was bent so there was a "drop" in the brace and I bolted a steel backing and attached the foam to this and then wrapped in duct tape (or you can get vinyl covering from the local craft store).

Don't have a good picture and the car is frozen in the trailer right now. Also people have put the foam on the rear bodywork. Depends on how high your firewall is.

ChrisZ
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have mine bolted to the body work. I am 6'1" and the fire wall is way to low for a head rest. I will be cutting into the body work to move my head rest rearward and putting a new seat belt mount in so I can use a HANS. I think most people will find they sit to upright to mount a head rest to the fire wall. I have a Citation but had a XTC in our shop several years ago.

Dave