Newb with a question

jaymzz

Newb with a question

Post by jaymzz »

Hi all. I just found this forum and very excited to be a part of it. I bought a Formula Vee a few months ago and have some questions. The person I bought it from told me it is a 1970 Lynx. All the numbers on the main hoop have been welded over, so I can't get any information from it. Does anyone know if it is what he said it is? Is it possible to find out what all the info that was on the main hoop was? I am replacing the main hoop with a taller one, and would like to be able to put the info back if possible. Also I was wondering what class I would be running? As far as I know I am the only Vee in my area, so the club I run in doesn't know either. The motor is a 1776 with duel 44 webers that have been jetted down to 38's. It has disc brakes all around. That is all I know of it. So any information would be highly appreciated. I am very excited to run it this season.
Last year was my first year in autocross and hillclimbs, and I loved it. So I thought it was time to get a dedicated car for racing and decided on the Formula vee. The car I raced last year is set up more for drag racing and made it somewhat of a challenge. lol. Anyways here is a picture. I plan on repainting it a brighter color so it can be seen better at the hillclimbs.
Edit... I just realized this is an old picture and still had the drum brakes on it.

[ external image ]
Veefan

Re: Newb with a question

Post by Veefan »

It's hard to tell from the picture if it is a Lynx the body work is not stock. Here's picture of my Lynx with the body work off.

[ external image ]
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks. My chassis looks just like that. So on the Lynx was there a certain body style? Or was there different styles? Also what is everyone doing for shifters and seats in formula Vee's? I find mine to be rather uncomfortable and very hard to shift.
FVartist

Post by FVartist »

The information for the roll bar is on the front of your log book. The other book you are going to need is a GCR (General Competition Rules & Specification). This is basically the go to book for Road Racing. You will have to remove the wing, replace the engine, convert the brake system back to drums and get a new body. Can not tell if any other changes are needed. There is also a book that Sracing has that seems to be helpful for beginners to FV.
Left Coast Formula Car Board
http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

This is a Lynx B body that was for sale in the parts area of the forum, I'm not sure if it was sold. The price was great $75.00 plus shipping.

[ external image ]
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

For autocross, your car is most likely in BM if it weighs 1180 lbs with the driver. It must also meet all current year requirements, except engine size, in the road race General Comptetion Rules (GCR) for Formula Atlantic. If not, it is considered a special and must run in AM.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks for your reply's. I will look into the books. The log book that came with the Vee doesn't have much info in it at all, except the last owners name in it.
Thanks for letting me know about the body. I will look to see if it is still for sale. That is cheap. I was thinking I was going to have to build my own.
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

Jaymzz, where are you located?
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

I really am a newb, I forgot to put my location. :oops:
I am located in Salem Oregon.
After thinking about it, if I leave the motor and brakes on would it be considered a Bmod? I do have a car I can put the motor in and rebuild the 1200 that is in it, and swap the brakes. But kind of don't want to do that if I don't need to. I would like to be able to run in the historic races and such, but also want to have fun with a little more power and better brakes. It could be me though, because the only time I have driven the Vee it didn't run the best and kept breaking down on me at the race. So it didn't seem that fast to me. But I am also used to my Evo that was built for drag racing.