fuel and tires at Regionals

flat tappet

fuel and tires at Regionals

Post by flat tappet »

Easy questions from newbie re: above

1) Are the Tire distributors at regional races to purchase/mount new tires?

2) What are people doing about fuel at the track? Bring your own? Buy at the track pump?
Is premium pump gas brought to the track ok?

Thanks,

Bruce
Mad Dog Racing

Re: fuel and tires at Regionals

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

I'll go ahead and supply the standard generic answers.

1) Depends on where you are, track and division.
1a) Some people will say that if you are a true beginner, no previous experience, find some decent used tires to use first. If you have, say several years of karting or similar experience, new tires might work for you.
1b) You need to find out who the local tire suppliers are, then contact them directly. Their plans change now and then, plus they can't always bring tires they don't know they will sell.

2) I have heard that a vee should run on premium unleaded, but never tried it.
2a) I think the general published consensus here is not to run premium unleaded.
2b) Serious racers are limited by fuel testing rules (whatever they are this year) but beginners at regionals should not be so constrained. Again, if you are going to do two regionals and start a Runoffs program, go with the track gas or bring 100 - 110 racing gas with you, don't contaminate your tank with unleaded oxygenates. Again, it's back to the track, some don't have gas, but most have a vendor on-site if they don't have their own pumps, need to find out.

Good to have the new blood. Good luck!
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Many thanks for this helpful info! :|
Frank

Post by Frank »

you can also run a vee on avgas which is much cheaper than track fuel
wroché29

Post by wroché29 »

Some tracks will not have leaded race fuel (NHMP), I think unleaded is bad for our engine's valve seats. You can also buy before leaving for the track if you can find a dealer:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/ ... ibutorMap/

Tire guys depend on the track / race. They are always at NE Div Nationals though (you can also get some good take-offs at Nationals).
Bill Roché
Citation XTC41
Team FootShoot partner
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you are just starting, it is best to haul your own stuff.

Use avegas from your local airport.

Tires you can buy and have shipped to you. You can then have them mounted at your local tire store.

There might be a problem getting them balanced, but that is a differnt problem.

At the track, Hosier and Goodyear charge $25 per tire. At my local tire store I get four tires dismounted and four tire mounted for $16 total of $16.

You can buy tires from a number of places on this board, including SR.

Matt
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Matt wrote:If you are just starting, it is best to haul your own stuff.

Use avegas from your local airport.

Tires you can buy and have shipped to you. You can then have them mounted at your local tire store.

There might be a problem getting them balanced, but that is a differnt problem.

At the track, Hosier and Goodyear charge $25 per tire. At my local tire store I get four tires dismounted and four tire mounted for $16 total of $16.

You can buy tires from a number of places on this board, including SR.

Matt
Thanks, Matt!

Great advice and cost savings.

Bruce
craigs

Post by craigs »

I've got a couple of used sets in Leominster, MA that I could part with for a 30 pack or two of Bud Light. A quick look out in the garage reveals it may be three or four sets. PM me your email and we can work out the details. I would rather see these get some use (and me get some free beer) than sit unused.
Vintagedynamic

Post by Vintagedynamic »

PM sent
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

related question - on a normal regional weekend, how much fuel would you expect to go through?

Thanks
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

about 10 gallons or so .... unless you run an ENDURO :mrgreen:
steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

rstackjd wrote:related question - on a normal regional weekend, how much fuel would you expect to go through?
A good rule of thumb is about 1 gallon for every 10 minutes of track time. Each track is a little different, but that is a ballpark estimate. Calculate out how many minutes you get in a weekend, then add a couple gallons until you have it figured out. In other words, if you have 80 minutes on track, you will likely need about 8 gallons. bring 10 and you'll be safe.

Quite literally......your mileage may vary.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
dric53

Post by dric53 »

I've got four sets of Hoosier take offs in the shop that can be had for a song plus shipping. I'm in White river Junction Vermont and could bring them to the NHMS school in April or pack and ship should anyone want them. PM if interested.

Dennis