Long vs. short box

GT6

Long vs. short box

Post by GT6 »

Is there any difference between the casting on a long and short box? My race preped long box is cracked up literally. I'm wondering if I can get any old set of castings and put my internals in them.

Thanks for your help, Anthony.
Anthony Parker
NER, NED, SCCA
SR Racing

Re: Long vs. short box

Post by SR Racing »

Castings are the same.

Jim
MCRacer

Post by MCRacer »

Jim, Is there a part number on the case that one can check for?

Mike
GT6

Post by GT6 »

What year(s) Bugs had the appropriate transmissions for FV?

Maybe I'll luck out and have one in a local junk yard.

Anthony.
Anthony Parker
NER, NED, SCCA
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Anthony,
I'm certainly no expert, but the trannie from any VW bug or bus during the years of 60 or so to 64 should be good. you DON'T want the early split case (you could USE it, but it probably wouldn't fit your internals) - the case is split vertically down the middle. Just don't get one of the later models that had CV joints.

BTW - taking your internals out and putting them in a new case is not something for the faint of heart ...and you should have a VW shop manual handy. There are a number of things that have to be adjusted to the case. Best to find a decent VW shop that has transaxle exerience and have them do it for you. Or ship it/take it to a FV vendor of trannies :-).

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Steve..busses used the 0.82 4th gear, but they were already set up with the ring and pinion flipped. Busses were the only trannys with the 1.22 third gear.
ConductorX

Post by ConductorX »

billinstuart wrote:Steve..busses used the 0.82 4th gear, but they were already set up with the ring and pinion flipped. Busses were the only trannys with the 1.22 third gear.
That would be a bus with reduction boxes. Have you found a case yet? I have one.

Gary