Trans Shift Forks

John Deonarine

Trans Shift Forks

Post by John Deonarine »

Changed gearboxes, now the gear lever will not engage reverse. Where should the shift forks be positioned to engage 1st gear? That way the lever can be changed to engage 1st and then reverse should be available.

Thanks,
John
brian

Re: Trans Shift Forks

Post by brian »

If you're talking about the internal parts of the tranny, the middle shift rail, of the 3, should be pushed in to establish first. If you are having problems with reverse after just changing trannies, the linkage should be adjusted. The hockey stick, the shaft sticking out of the rear, should rotate counter-clockwise all the way and be pulled out to get reverse. It's most likely the linkage going to the tranny is running out of travel. Either on rotation or length. Maybe both. Try adjusting the linkage clockwise on the hockey stick and see if this will help. I like to find 3rd; clockwise all the way and in on the hockey stick; then adjust the linkage to position the shift ball right where I wan't it. Make sure that the linkage is not against the end at a travel stops. Try to get reverse, if it won't go in, rotate a bit further to the right and try again. Most of the linkage I've seen in vees leaves a lot to be desired.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
John Deonarine

Re: Trans Shift Forks

Post by John Deonarine »

Thanks for the help.

John