FV Driving Technique Books

rstackjd

FV Driving Technique Books

Post by rstackjd »

Since I've got a while to go before I can get to a drivers school, I figure I can start reading stuff anyway.

I know there are any number of road racing / driving books out there, but I wonder if there are any good resources on FV driving techniques?

Thanks
Frank

Re: FV Driving Technique Books

Post by Frank »

"secrets of solo racing". it teaches great driving fundamentals of both autoX and road racing. Nothing really on passing, but you usually need to learn that on your own. The "Unfair Advantage" is another good book too.
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

THANKS! I'll look into those.

Bob
Doug Kyr

Post by Doug Kyr »

My favorite books are "Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving" and "Winning: A Race Drivers Handbook". "Going Faster!" is a Skip Barber book. "Winning" is more of an intro to club racing. "The Technique of Motor Racing" by Piero Tarrufi is a 40 year old classic that is a "must read." I was disappointed with Carroll Smith's "Drive to Win". Check out the reader reviews of these books on Amazon.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Bob,
If I might offer some sage advice....
FV racing (ANY amateur racing...) is about several things (mostly <G>)
IMHO - in order of importance
1). *NOT* crashing!!
2). Drive SMOOTH
3). Going fast
4). Race craft
5). Winning

If I might reemphasize NUMBER ONE - DON'T CRASH .... especially don't crash during your early race career trying to gain or keep from losing a position in a race. You MAY be one of those rare people who is HOT, right out of the box, but most of us have to learn how to race. I might also add that I did NOT follow item number one in my early career and came very close to quitting because of the numerous efforts of rebuilding the car time after time. It not only affects you, but others around you. I was consumed with beating whoever was around me and it took me quite a few years to learn how little it mattered in the whole scheme of things.

Items 1 and 2 are quite easily attainable no matter WHAT you drive or how good/fast/slow your car is. You will do well to worry more about them than ANYTHING else. The rest will come later ... and if you follow 1 and 2, there will BE a "later" <g>. $$$MONEY$$$ is a large part of that issue. Not crashing saves you tons of money and MANY MANY hours of work that you could spend better learning about items 3, 4 and 5 if you weren't stuck in the garage fixing things.

Fighting for position is vastly overrated. You should not "fight" for position (except, maybe on the LAST lap <G>). Learn early to GIVE and TAKE appropriately. Use properly set up passes - on the straights, NOT the turns to improve your position.

Best of luck and hope to see you on the track soon,
Drop by and see me some time and I can give LOTS of examples of how this is better than going broke and quitting because of over zealousness.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

In addition to Stevan's excellent suggestions, you might try to find "Driving in Competition" by Alan Johnson. Great "starter" book on driving techniques.

Hope this helps

Dietmar
fv195

Post by fv195 »

Steve, I think you forgot one very important thing.
HAVE FUN!
That is the only reason we do this. I don't think any one is getting a pay check. so just enjoy. I know when I get out of my car I have a big smile on my face, why I do it.
THOR
FV70
Martinracing98

Post by Martinracing98 »

The last thing I my brother tells me before I pull on to the track is to have fun. Of course then he points at his head to remind me to use mine. :roll: That helps towards goals 1 and 2.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Bob,
While looking for something else, I happened across this page...
http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/raci ... _sale.html
I would guess that just about EVERY driving book possible is represented there. One stop shopping :mrgreen:
Steve
P.s - Don't forget that HAVE FUN part :)
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

FV80 wrote:Bob,
While looking for something else, I happened across this page...
http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/raci ... _sale.html
I would guess that just about EVERY driving book possible is represented there. One stop shopping :mrgreen:
Steve
P.s - Don't forget that HAVE FUN part :)
VERY COOL - THANKS! Time to shop! lol
Rave Motorsports

Post by Rave Motorsports »

If you can this year or next I highly recommend the Faasst driving school. Just finished it a Mid-America Motorplex in Omaha by the end of the day took a whopping 8 seconds off my lap time. Judy is a fantastic instructor, and if you listen and be honest with her about what your having trouble with you will be amazed. I'm a novice also but took the school after I did the Memphis school earlier. I don't regret the Memphis school, it was great for learning SCCA and how a race was conducted / rules / procedures/ etc. Judy didn't just teach me how to drive but how to drive fast.

Bill Gray
FV 77 Mid-Div