Trailer Question?

miata88

Trailer Question?

Post by miata88 »

What size enclosed trailer will a FV fit into?
fv195

Re: Trailer Question?

Post by fv195 »

I have a 6x14 side to side is a little tight, but length is fine, could go 12' long if you don't plan on carrying much in the trailer but the car. I also have a 8x18 that I might be able to get 2 vees into.
hope this helps. I would say 6x12 would be the smallest.
THOR
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The maximum legal length is 135". My solo Vee on 10" rear wheels and tires (7" backspacing on the wheels) will fit between the door posts on my trailer which are 63 3/4" wide. With 5" backspace wheels the car is 65" wide.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
shirleymac

Post by shirleymac »

I use a 6x12 H&H trailer. I had to make some short ramps to clear the edge of the ramp door. The car has about 4" on each side and enough room up front with the nose off for the easy-up and a small spare parts box. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to store an extra set of tires.
rgr1racing

Post by rgr1racing »

Line each wall with E track; one upper and one lower row. Purchase E track 2 x 4 holders and put the lower row holders closer together than the upper row making a tire rack that goes from one side of the trailer to another. In a 7' width one single row can hold 2+ sets of mounted wheels and tires for a FV. Then continue to use the rest of the E track to make shelves for parts boxes. This system is inexpensive and doubles the storage space of the trailer as well as keeps everything off of the floor and out of the way of the car.
rgr1racing
Nettie WV 26681
JimR

Post by JimR »

Jerry,
You are asking a tough question because trailer needs cover a lot of ground. In my own case I have a 7x14 double axle, electric brakes, although I suppose I could have opted for a single axle trailer. Because my wheels are mounted outside the box, (I think typical to a 7 ft trailer), the entire inside box is usable. In terms of size internally it has suited me well as the cars goes in with plenty of room on each side. With the car inside tires can be placed on the floor in front and strapped without the need for a tire rack. This year I did add a tire rack. If I had to do it over I would opt for a V nose as that little extra space pays dividends for spares or perhaps go to a 7x16 if I were exclusive to FV. What I like about the 7 foot wide trailer is the visibilty as you don't need extension mirrors in an SUV. Given you asking these questions should we assume your participation in FV is going to be more permanent 8) . At the July NHMS event feel free to come by and check out my trailer.
Jim Regan
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

I remember (the 80's) when EMRA guys used to show up with 6 x 12 U-Haul trailers - when they would rent you just the trailer. They had a frame of 2 x 4s set up on the perimiter that they strapped down to. Some cars had to take off the exhaust and nose but they fit in. Since in those days they rented them for less that $50 per weekend, that was the best deal......then you could only rent the trailer with one of their trucks, but I think that has changed again - it may depend on the size of the trailer.

I have a 6 x 12 V nose with swing doors. The V adds room for misc stuff and my tires are under the triangular workbench. Single axle without brakes...it is a tough choice- single axle is cheaper for tolls, but I will be putting on brakes this year. Dual axle is probably the way to go.

For FV, I might go with a 7 x 12 V nose (I have to believe the V helps with gas mileage), it is tough working around the car inside a 6' trailer. If you are thinking of a FF or up, you have to go to a 14' or 16', but you could always sell your 12 to a motorcycle guy.

The neatest trailers I have seen are these http://maddoghaulers.com/

Crank them down when driving, up when at the track!

ChrisZ
miata88

Post by miata88 »

Thanks everyone for you input and suggestions.
I currently have a 28' Featherlite to carry a couple of Miatas.
My son races a kart right now and the 28' is a lot to move it.
I was thinking about a trailer for the kart and would like to get one that could possibly handle a FV in the near future.
Sounds like a 6X12 could do the trick!
Thanks again!