Canopy

Captain

Canopy

Post by Captain »

I know this has been discussed, but can't find the thread.

Looking to buy an e-z up style canopy. I see several in the 100-200 range that look like decent deals. But of all the online reviews I have seen, each one has a complaint on surviveability in rain/wind. While I plan to take it down in the eveing in bad weather, if it is raining, and we are racing I want the canopy to work! (unless its really bad, then I'd take it down)

So what is the most durable one out there in that price range? A review from a fellow racer would be best. Brands such as sunshade, e-z up, bravo, ect. Also I see some reviews that the 12x12 are weaker. Maybe its best to stay with 10x10 (straight leg)?

thanks
Jim
jpetillo

Re: Canopy

Post by jpetillo »

Jim,

Something else to consider is to buy two, or just a plain 10 x 20 canopy. The plain ones are not easy-up, but they do a great job. One thing I like about my plain-jane 10 x 20 is that the top is the "silverized" looking type and absolutely no sun comes through. I've been under many canopies, and there really is a big difference when no sun comes through on those hot days. The second thing about the 10 x 20 is that you can fit you and your car completely out of the sun while you're working on it - especially as the sun moves around - and there's plenty of room for people to sit under it as well with the car - or fit two cars!

Easy-up or not, go for the bigger one, or maybe just get two of them. But, definitely consider one that let's no light through. I got my no-namer from Dick Stewart (fvrentals.com).

Good luck!

John
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

NYR Solo's 10x10 T&S EZ-Up was a pretty solid unit, until the last event of the 2007 season when a monsoon downpour hit during the trophy presentation. The rain came down in buckets, and a puddle formed on the roof of the canopy. Long story short, the material ripped, and computer monitors don't like having 5 gallons of rainwater dumped into them while powered up. :(

Having witnessed more than my fair share of broken canopies over the years, the only advice that I can offer is to consider their longevity to be in the same general time range as a set of new race tires. If you get more than that out of one, consider yourself fortunate. If you count all of the money spent on canopies and the time wasted putting them up, you might find a good argument to invest in a monster enclosed trailer.....
brian

Post by brian »

I've noticed that it takes more than one person to set up a 10x20 pop up. They are a bit unruley and are easily damaged. I prefer the conduit frame units since I travel solo most of the time.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

I have a 10X20 canopy from Harpster. Their cheapest canopy is much heavier duty than the conduit setups, and even though the poles are included it still costs less than a system from Pegasus without the conduit. I bought a 10X12 tarp so I can set it up as a 10X10 if I don't need 10X20. Also got the side panels and end cover so I basically can have a garage setup. At the birthday party I had 2 four feet long fluorescent shop lights hung from the top to work at night. I can set it up by myself in a pinch, but it is easier with more people. I used the car tie down straps to secure it to the trailer. In the past I would strap it to rain tires, but there have been stories told of canopies flying around paddocks with 4 GT-1 tires strapped to them leaving major destruction in their wake!

http://www.harpster-canopies.com/
Bob VanDyke
neilcox

Post by neilcox »

For several seasons I used 2 10X10 EZ UPs with good success. I strapped them down to the trailer and sand bags, while other shelters were flying mine stayed secure. After a heavy rain they will hold water until you drain them or they drain (rip) themselves. For this season I have a 12X24 that attaches to the trailer and straps to the sand bags. The silver tarp is much better for shade, is the length of my trailer and should shed water much better. The best thing about 10X10 was set up and take town can be done by 1 person.
FV07

Post by FV07 »

Saw Bobs Harpster canopy at Summit Point couple months ago and was impressed enough to buy the same one. Used it 2 weeks ago and was very happy with it. I had also looked at EZ ups and thought about 2 10 x 10's. Easier to put up by yourself but not as good coverage/weather protection with the EZ ups as the canopy. 2 10x10 EZ ups also weigh more than a 10x20 canopy. Check out the Harpster website and if you buy one go with the over the edge top.

Jim A.
Bandido 82

Post by Bandido 82 »

Since your asking about canopys, Over the years I have seen all types of canopys. I bought 2-10'X10' Quik Shade from Sports Authority on sale. It has a vented roof so the wind doesn't pick it up and we use the spare tires with straps to hold it down in case of wind.What ever you buy make sure that it has straight legs so you can zip tie them together. I hope this helps.

Ken FV #82
Live for the Green Flag; Race for the Checkered Flag!!!!!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the insight.

Stoped by Sports authority yesterday. They had some sales on the canopies. The $60 and $100 advertised were set up. They looked like such junk I was afrade they might fail just standing up in the store. Took a look at the Summit one (with the vented roof) much better construction. Nicer looking fastners, and thicker material. It had a $219 sticker on it. A bit more then I wanted to spend (10X10) but I figured it would be worth it if the quality was better...and I had a $25 coupon.

Got to the register, came up as $129, then the $25 coupon....I think it was a good deal. Got it set up in the backyard in no time. Takes a couple extra minutes to make sure the vent part is on the holders properly as its opened up, but looks like it should do the job.

I do really like those larger 10X20 canopies....maybe if this fails I'll go with one of those. This was just to good of a deal to pass up....maybe I should go back and get another one!

Thanks everyone. Now back to work on the car. Race in 2 weeks!!!
Mr. Frog

Post by Mr. Frog »

For anyone, an FYI,

The Home Depot in Flemington has 10 EZUp-style canopies made by Quik Shade on clearance for $49.99 (reg $99.99). I don't know the quality level of these, but at half price it seems like a decent deal. I work there part time and would be happy to pick one up for anyone who might be interested.

Carl
Thanks!
Carl