Engine Tins - Deflector plate needed

Keith Lawrence

Engine Tins - Deflector plate needed

Post by Keith Lawrence »

I have a spare engine that I would like to use in my next vintage event in mid-May (with fan and piston shrouds), but it was assembled before the small, bottom deflector plates (between the cylinders and pushrod tubes) was installed.

Do I need these plate installed?

If so, I could cut up an old set and wire tie them in place as I do not want to have to remove the heads.

Thanks
Keith
Pittsburgh PA
1964 AutoDynamics
Keith Lawrence

Re: Engine Tins - Deflector plate needed

Post by Keith Lawrence »

The tins that I am asking about are shown on:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... tor+plates

Part # 5 on the left side is shown, there is a matching tin not shown on the right side.

My old engine had these tins on the top of the cylinders and I lost #3 rod bearing on the first session of the day - coincidence?????

The joys of learning about a new type of engine (and race car)!!!

Thanks
Keith
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Keith:

The jury is still out on the tin that you describe. Some use it and some do not. Personally, I use them on all my engines.
Leaving it out probably was not a cause of your rod bearing failure- sorry.

VW had a reason for this hardware, and if you are using a fan on your AutoD then I surely would install them. Can you make something that will slip in without taking the heads off? Sure.
Have seen a lot of "home made" parts there and they seemed to work.

Hope this helps.
Dietmar
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

Dietmar,

Thanks - I think I will cut up an old, crusty pair of these tins that O have and wire tie them in place until I have time to remove the heads and do it "right the first time".

The engine that didn't like the rod bearing actually had these tins on the top (non-pushrod) fan side of the engine... It also sat for 15 years before I tried to race with it, but my spare should be good to go.

Thanks
Keith