Noobie questions

moniker

Noobie questions

Post by moniker »

Hi Guys,

I am a noobie here and want to say hi and ask a few questions. Hope that will not be a problem.

I own a couple Vees. Both are home brewed but only one is homulgated by the SCCA.

For the fun of it I would like to make one of them street legal and autocross it as well. So, on to a couple questions:

1. Which is fundamentally better for street use, zero roll or z-bar rear suspension? Why?

2. Which is fundamentally better for autocross use, zero roll or z-bar rear suspension? Why?

Thanks
Captain

Re: Noobie questions

Post by Captain »

I would just use the one without the paperwork for the street and autoX, save the other for club racing.
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

moniker wrote:1. Which is fundamentally better for street use, zero roll or z-bar rear suspension? Why?
That's like asking if a pig is prettier in a dress than a cow. No racecar is fundamentally better for the street. If you have to drive one on the street, use the one with the higher ground clearance.
Bob VanDyke
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

moniker wrote:
For the fun of it I would like to make one of them street legal and autocross it as well. So, on to a couple questions:

2. Which is fundamentally better for autocross use, zero roll or z-bar rear suspension? Why?

Thanks
It really doesn't matter. When I first started researching cars before buying, the consensus seemed to be that a Z bar is better. That is probably because the only FM National championships won by a Vee were won by Scott Nardin and he has a Z bar. But almost all of the other cars which were close to him were zero roll. Some of those cars, including mine, has beaten Scott on occaision. I thnik Scott would have won those championships with zero roll. His car is the best prepared and, in my opinion, the best driven.

There is a second reason why z bar or zero roll is not important in your case. A street legal solo vee will never, ever be remotely competitive. It'll be much to heavy.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
moniker

Post by moniker »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Lynn, shortly you will have a PM.