How Much oil?

Captain

How Much oil?

Post by Captain »

While doing some pre-season work on the motor I got thinking...how much oil should I really be running? I have the sump exension, large aftermarket oil cooler, (with long lines to avoid pinching) and a large oil filter.

I know there is no deffinite answer here. So if someone has a similiar set up could give me an idea, it would be great!

Thanks
Jim
Larry Bradley

Re: How Much oil?

Post by Larry Bradley »

To determine the amount of oil you want to end up with is: have the car running and the amount you see on the stick is to be at the full mark with the motor running.

Start with 3 1/2 to 4 quarts of oil then check it and set the level.
Keeping in mind how much you are putting in total.
Now one word of caution, when adjusting the valves you will have to jack the car up on one side or the oil will pour out of the head onto the ground.

Larry
Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Yep, Larry's dead nuts correct about the oil level.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Thank you!
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

I'd just like to add that you always check the oil level with the motor idling as suggested because I learned the hard way. I lost a couple of really good motors by trying to cheat a little on the oil level because I was getting so much oil blown around the engine compartment. Oil wipes off with a clean rag.
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
brian

Post by brian »

Larry's got it completely right. I have found that with an extensive oil system oil can get trapped and not drain down causing a false low reading. Running the motor at idle solves this dilema.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

In *MY* experience, it is also almost impossible to check the oil with it cold. Using the dip stick on cold oil gives me a false low reading. If I add oil to bring it up to my mark while cold (this is RUNNING 'cold'), it will just blow it all out ... all OVER the place in the next session. I TRY to remember to check it each time I come IN from a session - that way I get good indication and can add whatever amount of oil is required to bring it back up. If I forget to check it hot, I just add about 1/4 or 1/3 qt before the next session - that seems to be about what I usually burn.

I try to keep mine at the MAXIMUM amount it will hold without blowing it out - especially at Roebling which has LONG high G sweepers. I'd rather put a little in the catch tank each session than take a chance on running low and losing the engine.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Funny,

I was going to post almost the same thing Steve just did, but then decided I didn't want to muddy the waters. But since he has, I want to agree with him.

I believe that a cold engine retains more of the oil in the heads, and upper crankcase than a hot engine because the viscosity is higher. So if you set the oil level idling and cold, you will probably overfill the engine and it will blow much of the extra oil out quickly once underway.

So the best time to check the oil level is as you come in from a session. Yes, it's a pain, but it's the only way I've ever gotten consistent, repeatable results. For my system, I always start with a specific amount of oil after an oil and filter change, and then set the level hot after each session (unless I forget). My preferred set point, hot and idling is about 1/8" above the std. VW full mark. This assumes the car (or engine block) is level in both axis of course.
Bruce
cendiv37
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

OK..there IS more to the story as Stevan pointed out. What we did, check and fill the engine with the oil hot as stated, at idle. Without running the engine, the next day check the level COLD. It will be way above the Full mark. File a mark on the dipstick at this level. This way, you will know COLD what the level should be hot and idling. If you have to err on the level, overfill! It's better to be safe than sorry.

Oil filters are made with and without an anti-drainback feature. Be sure and buy filters with the anti-drainback built in. Basically, it is a flap just inside the inlet. Where's the inlet? It's the OUTER ring. Oil returns to the engine thru the CENTER. This prevents the oil from draining from the filter, and artificially raising the cold oil level.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hey Bruce, isn't there a white car here in Cen-Div that just fills her to the top and says it will find its own level. Then he wants to charge you for aero testing.

Dave
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Yeah, I know that guy. He once asked me to PAY for the oil I was thus borrowing from him.

Such nerve!

:lol:
Bruce
cendiv37