Disc brake weight penalty

hardingfv32-1

Disc brake weight penalty

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

What number is being considered for a disc brake usage weight penalty?

Is the ball joint/disc installation heavier than the link pin installation?

I assume any penalty is arbitrary, as there is no way to assess the performance advantage of a ball joint/disc installation.

Brian
Dave

Re: Disc brake weight penalty

Post by Dave »

300# 100 for disc brakes and 200 for dumbing down the class sounds good to me
Dave
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Brian,
25# is the proposed weight penalty. The ONLY reason it's there is to make sure that the disc brake conversion would NOT be a "must have" in it's initial introduction. It is not our intention to make it a "must have" - just to ALLOW it's use. After some numbers of people convert and we get some actual data, the penalty will likely be adjusted.

The BJ beam is HEAVIER as are the disc brake components. We expect that if you take a standard LP beam and associated drum brake parts off and replace everything with a full BJ beam and associated disc brake parts, you'll be pretty close to the penalty number. We have a basis for this guess, but it's just that. We haven't actually weighed all parts of both component sets - the #25 penalty should cover it though.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Thanks

Having just finished a new front beam assembly I will gladly make the conversion. All these pins holding the suspension together are a joke. I might even build a new car for the installation. I will start work as soon as approval is granted.

Brian