July Minutes

Bob Posner

Re: July Minutes

Post by Bob Posner »

I've driven my Elise at Pacific Raceways. It's a great car,but there is no comparison to the fv. You'll be astounded when you find out what a vee will do. Schrady's car is clean and unmolested - good choice.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Yes, I have a lot to learn about FV, and racing in general. After spending this season flagging and asking questions, I think it's definitely the class for me. I was drawn to FF, but they don't seem to be having as much fun as the FV crowd.

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
brian

Post by brian »

The car Jim bought was originally my Lynx. Following the zero roll upgrade, I scored a Runoffs 3rd at Atlanta. It's a great car and am looking forward to seeing it out next year.

Special thanks to Brian for all the positive observations. Like Mark Twain once said, "the rumors of my death have been greatly exagerated."
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jferreira

Post by jferreira »

Dietmar wrote:The FV Ad Hoc Committee met on July 24

...snip...

One of the issues with the Chinese cylinders is the narrow shoulder on the barrel that fits against the engine case. If this shoulder were made wider ( as in the original VW and aftermarket cylinders), then that would solve one of the problems inherent with the AA set. The other is the number and width of the cooling fins. The AA barrels are somewhat like the early cylinders in that they have thicker yet fewer cooling fins. These two items will be presented to the Chinese manufacturer in the next week to see if anything can be done.
Next meeting scheduled for August 28
- has anyone tried the AA cylinders and pistons?
- Is the narrow shoulder a problem? sealing?
- will these pistons take a 6800 - 7000 rpm range?

curious,
John'
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

brian wrote:
Special thanks to Brian for all the positive observations. Like Mark Twain once said, "the rumors of my death have been greatly exagerated."
The target should be growth, not replacing 20% of those that leave every year. The only exaggerated FV decline commentary is from those in complete denial. I am sure, that, if Samual Clemens had been bedridden, counting down the days, he would not have been so smug. 8)
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

1) A little history as I know it: First, I am assuming that Dave Schrady is not moving up to a Vortex. If so the SFR has lost one of its most loyal FV competitors.

I do not have any idea how enthusiastic Jim (jphoenix) will be as time goes on, but my observation of FV competitors on the West Coast over the last 25 years would indicate that he will be gone in 5 years or less. I am not sure the sale of Dave Schrady's car can be considered a net positive event at this point.

2) I feel that managing the FV or even SCCA based on a strategy that they can be grown in the future is not going to be productive. It would be better to make decisions with an acceptance of the on going decline.

Brian
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

jferreira wrote:
Dietmar wrote:The FV Ad Hoc Committee met on July 24

...snip...

One of the issues with the Chinese cylinders is the narrow shoulder on the barrel that fits against the engine case. If this shoulder were made wider ( as in the original VW and aftermarket cylinders), then that would solve one of the problems inherent with the AA set. The other is the number and width of the cooling fins. The AA barrels are somewhat like the early cylinders in that they have thicker yet fewer cooling fins. These two items will be presented to the Chinese manufacturer in the next week to see if anything can be done.
Next meeting scheduled for August 28
- has anyone tried the AA cylinders and pistons?
- Is the narrow shoulder a problem? sealing?
- will these pistons take a 6800 - 7000 rpm range?

curious,
John'
Dietmar and John,For me, the number of fins is not a big issue, and while I have worked around the narrow shelf area with "bushing/shims", a wider shelf would be very nice. Another big improvement would be to eliminate the groove approx. 1/4 inch above the shelf. It is a weak point and has caused problems. Also, we need more meat about the shelf for trimming. Any more than a .040 cut and you into the scallop.
On the pistons: Let's face it...none of the brands are "race quality", but I have had no problems with them. I have used on the order of 50 + sets, and they will live with those revs, thanks to our low c.r. and power output.
Mike P.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:1) A little history as I know it: First, I am assuming that Dave Schrady is not moving up to a Vortex. If so the SFR has lost one of its most loyal FV competitors.

I do not have any idea how enthusiastic Jim (jphoenix) will be as time goes on, but my observation of FV competitors on the West Coast over the last 25 years would indicate that he will be gone in 5 years or less. I am not sure the sale of Dave Schrady's car can be considered a net positive event at this point.

2) I feel that managing the FV or even SCCA based on a strategy that they can be grown in the future is not going to be productive. It would be better to make decisions with an acceptance of the on going decline.

Brian
I know this is an old thread, but three years later, I'm still here. Dave Schradys old car (actually just the chassis) is out back in the shed because I took all the VW parts and put them in a new chassis I built over the winter, stealing what I believe we're all the best design bits of the protoforms, womers, etc. that I took detailed photos of over the past years. I built a buck and pulled molds for a new body to fit the chassis, sent the engine to Dietmar for an overhaul and did the first test and tune today at the ridge. I'm very happy with the car and engine, much stronger motor and the car is a joy to drive, ergonomically improved to where it's very comfortable, close to min weight and easily tossed about in the corners.

I'm also the new owner of Stephen Saslows old Womer, having bought it from Chuck at a fire sale price because he's going to miatas. So now I have three cars, Brian's old Caracal chassis (with logs), my new 2016 Red Metcury FV and a 2003 Womer.

I'll sell the Womer with open trailer for what I paid for it, just to get another vee on our tracks up here. We have a new novice this year in a Protoform, but we need more. I talked to a guy today at the track who's crewing for an E46 that lives in Sacramento and is very interested in vees, gave him Brian McCarthy's name, hopefully he'll get the bug.

FV is not dead yet, o e more brand new 2016 FV has joined the pack! (I would like to find a source of lightweight, not bent, FV wheels)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

1) I should have specified SCCA Reg/Major activity. I am assume vintage is doing fine.

2) I still have 2 years remaining on my prediction.

Brian
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Yes, 2 years remaining on your prediction. My goal is to have 5 regular vee racers in conference within the next two years. Got 1, need four more. Selling the womer cheap is an attempt to get another vee racer running with us. Maybe re-assemble the Caracal and sell it for cost to get another racer in the group.

Don't need vintage vees, I need competition that I can learn from.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
Bob Posner

Post by Bob Posner »

What a great aspiration. We need more of this kind of guy.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Also, no spec tire in conference. Run what you want :P
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44