April Minutes

brian

Re: April Minutes

Post by brian »

Historically, many innovations like offset bushings, valve seat repairs/replacements and aftermarket parts in general, have been made legal, after the fact, by rule changes. The vee class has evolved over the past 50 years and that's good. What the class has not done is turn into a techno class with a new chassis or have to have's every year. There aren't many classes where a 15 or 20 year old car can still win the runoffs. (Thanks Roger). Quite frankly, leaving the rule process entirely in the hands of the competitors is like turning over the asylum to the patients. Look what's happened to Spec Miata. It went from a $5K car spec class to a class using $15K motors and $25 to 30K cars.

Every time I look at a proposed rule I remember that I represent 42,000 members. If I see a rule request that might make folks spend more money, I tend to be very conservative. While there are a lot of folks that would like to see upgrades made in the vee class, there are just as many, if not more, that won't be able to afford the upgrade and are likely to stop running because of a perceived lack of competitiveness. It's never an easy call and I have learned that you can't please everyone. I just try.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.