April Minutes

Dietmar
Site Admin

April Minutes

Post by Dietmar »

The FV Ad Hoc Committee met on April 25.
Members attending: Stevan Davis, Stephen Saslow, Phillip Holcomb, Bruce Livermore, Dietmar Bauerle
Guest: Fred Clark

As an FYI, the last FasTrack posted the announcement that a spec tire for FV would not be considered by the CRB despite the survey conducted by the Committee with over 70% of the respondents in favor of some form of spec tire. As an SCCA member and representative of the Committee, Bruce Livermore wrote a letter to the CRB requesting they consider a spec tire for FV based on the survey results . He will publish that letter on the Interchange within a few days.

The CRB did request member input with regard to a weight increase request (Stephen Saslow) . Members should contact SCCA with their opinion either for or against a weight increase at http://www.crbscca.com

Piston discussion- ongoing.
Further examination of our sample pistons showed a variation in dimensions with regard to wrist pin to ring groove distances. We are also aware that there are a number of sources on the Internet that list “1200 CC VW piston sets” that are NOT closely matched to the original VW sets. These variations in ring groove size and location with the potential for future, larger variations from the dimensions of original VW pistons led the Committee to believe that there is a need for a specific set of piston dimensions. This will ensure that proper compliance measurements are available to the membership and the tech staff. The Committee has for a long time agreed that the term “dimensionally correct” is vague especially when the vast majority of the membership and tech personnel have nothing to use as a standard. Since the VW manual does not list any piston specs, Bruce Livermore will propose a set of measurements based on an array of historically available FV pistons, including the currently available K/S pistons which are a very good match to the original VW sample that we have. K/S made 1200cc piston/cylinder sets specifically for VW. Once a spec is agreed upon within the Committee, we will initiate a rule rewrite request to the CRB . The CRB could then either add the measurements to the GCR under ‘Errors and Omissions’, or they might consider it a true rule CHANGE and present it for member input in FasTrack. Our attempt at a spec will center around the distance from the center of the wrist pin to the top of the 1st ring groove, trying to eliminate any creative machining of ring grooves.

K/S has been contacted to determine availability and pricing for future piston orders.

No other items were presented or discussed.

Next meeting scheduled for May 23
SR Racing

Re: April Minutes

Post by SR Racing »

Lets hope that Bruce comes up with a tolerance that allows for the bulk of the Chinese sets. We have used them and they work fine and are 1/2 the cost. I see no reason to force another price increase on the FV membership. (and a limited supply from KS)

If we are captive to KS, their prices will certainly not go down and we risk that the Chinese 1200 sets may become unavailable. (Other than FV, no one much buys them.)
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

1) I would not depend on the Committee to approve dimensions that are accepting of the Chinese sets.

2) If the CRB adds the new dimensions under ‘Errors and Omissions’ there will be no member input. Seem odd that there is no outside review of the Committee's ring 'groove size and location' dimension input to the CRB.

Regardless, if you have a finacial interest in the Chinese sets you best go to the CRB directly.

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32-1 on May 1st, 2012, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:1)
Regardless, if you have a finacial interest in the Chinese sets you best go to the CRB directly.
If my interests were financial, I would go with the KS's only. A bigger gross and profit margin. I want what is good for FV racing and that is certainly to allow a better priced, more available part. Let's hope this is recognized by others.

(and that is why I like FST... :) )