Tire Survey

craigs

Re: Tire Survey

Post by craigs »

I still think support and contingincies are important to making the descision.

How much support should we expect from American Racer or Falken at SCCA events - especially regionals? Would they have an inventory at the track for us?

I could be talked into a Goodyear or Hoosier spec tire - I would actually support the R55 as a spec tire by writing into SCCA. But switching to American Racer or a treaded tire (especially a "street" tire) I would oppose.

The R55 as a spec tire would actually mirror what SM has done. Many suspect the SM6 is simply a re-branded R6. What would Hoosier do cost wise if we gave them the whole market and it is one compound and two molds only?

Keeping contingencies could be important to swaying many votes of drivers that people listen to too. Like it or not, many regional mid pack drivers listen to the opinions of those that run up front regionally or nationally.

Craig
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The cost calculation of the tire contingency programs needs to factor in the Regional entries (excluding AR). It might cut the contingency cost per set in half, say to $122 per set. None the less the concept is valid and ON POINT.

So.... Maybe the correct way to frame the spec tire debate is: Do you want to keep paying for the tires of the front runners who are always beating you?
Or do you believe in the great American myth that if you work hard enough, you can have free tires some day too.

"Like it or not, many regional mid pack drivers listen to the opinions of those that run up front regionally or nationally." If the mid pack drivers can not figure out this for themselves, then they deserve the added expense. The is a good chance the majority is not sharp enough to see what is going on.

Brian
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

VW offers a regional contigency as well. There were 238 regional races last year, I believe. There is $100 at stake for every one of those from VW for the winner of FV. That means $23,800 was at stake. If we *GUESS* that 75% of that was actually claimed, that means they paid out $17,850.

I believe I heard somewhere that there were a little over 700 regional entries last year.

If we *GUESS* that a regional guy is only averaging a new set of tires every 6 events, that means they sold about 120 sets of tires. So on a regional level, $149 per set is paid back to the winners. So it is somewhere between $149 and $243 per set. If we split the middle, and call it $196, that makes the set of tires now cost $516 per set, plus shipping.

Would a spec tire that performs like the current R55 Hoosier at a cost of $516 be a good choice?
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Dave

Post by Dave »

Steve not to be argumentative but truthful. Try this math for 2012 120 sets of tires X $0 = $0

Dave
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

I am not following you at all.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR