Who approves Committee membership?

hardingfv32-1

Who approves Committee membership?

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Who approves original or new Committee membership?

Brian
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Who approves Committee membership?

Post by FV80 »

"The FV Commitee" is an 'Ad Hoc' Committee. It means we got together and CALLED ourselves a Committee. IOW, we combined our talents in hopes of creating a ' voice' that might be heard in (what was then) Denver - now Topeka. In the days of Committee formation, one person submitting a request pretty generally resulted in one of those "the rules are adequate as written" responses. HOWEVER, if a group of competitors submitted a "petition" the response was a little better. The Committee was initially formed (by Steve Oseth ...haven't I said posted most of this before on this forum?) to address the possible 'futurization' of FV ... to come up with a 5 year and a 10 year plan to carry FV into the future. After formation and putting together some ideas about how that might be done, all of our ideas were pretty thoroughly TRASHED by the masses (at Runoffs meetings). The MAJORITY seemed to feel that we did not NEED to "look into the future" or to change the rules looking in that direction. In the meantime, several issues came up within the existing rules ... mostly related to parts availability and we (the Committee) took on those issues to see what (we thought) should be done to address the problems.

To answer your question, The Committee will decide. We are still an 'UNelected', 'UNappointed', Un"officially" recognized committee and therefore under no specific set of rules. We have no extra "pull" with SCCA other than that some of them recognize us a "a place" to go and ask questions about class issues where there is significant expertise and experience in the class. They have asked us to comment on some rules proposals, and other times they don't ask. Sometimes we offer our thoughts on rules, and the CRB ignores what we say.

Some FV participants say FV does not NEED a Committee. Others tell us that we are doing a great job and we should "keep up the good work". All we really know is that *WE* feel a Committee is needed. Following the pattern of this committee, SCCA has created (and controls membership on) several other class "Committees" that *DO* have official status with SCCA, but this Committee is still "outside" SCCA "officaldom".

You are free to start up your own committee ... but you'll need a different name from us :mrgreen: :-).
Hope this helps...
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

FV80 wrote:"You are free to start up your own committee ... but you'll need a different name from us :mrgreen:
Sounds like some litigation is coming. :-)
brian

Post by brian »

The CRB uses advisory committees to advise and consent on technical issues. The committees are appointed by the CRB and are made up from experienced competitors from all the classes. The committees are broken into general car groups; we are represented by the Formula/Sports Racer Committee. When Steve O. started the ad hoc committee it was to address some supply issues and deal with the future. As the Formula/Sports rep on the CRB, I chose to participate on the ad hoc committee as well. The formal Advisory committee uses input from the ad hoc committee to assist in FV issues. I consider the ad hoc committee as a critical liaison to the CRB. That does not mean that one could not go directly to the CRB with a request, but chances are it will go back to the committees anyway.

In the beginning, a call was made for volunteers. Membership was determined by having folks from all the areas in the nation. The ad hoc committee has been around for many years and was operating long before manifold issues came along. After many years, the committee is looking for new blood. They've asked for newer arrivals to the class; I guess to counter the old farts like myself and I don't really have a problem with that.

The one thing the class does not need is keyboard commandos or non participants, clouding the discussions and the committee has proven itself impartial and willing to represent the entire class. I see no reason why that will change with new members. My gratitude goes out to the guys for the years of service.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.