How to write a letter to the SCCA

cendiv37

How to write a letter to the SCCA

Post by cendiv37 »

People have asked how they should communicate their opinions/wishes to SCCA. We, the FV committee, have suggested you be specific, but haven’t really defined what we mean. I thought I’d take a shot at defining “specific” a bit more specifically ;-)

All communications should be sent to crb@scca.com . This gets your letter logged into the system and put up in a forum where the official SCCA committee members can read it, etc. Note that this access does not include the Ad Hoc FV committee which is NOT an official SCCA committee. FV issues are sent down to the F/SR Committee and from there they come to the Ad Hoc FV Committee if SCCA so chooses.

Here’s a quote from SCCA’s own description of the rules making process:

“Rule Making Process (Prepared by the Club Racing Board)

The Club Racing Board, appointed annually by the BoD, is responsible for establishing rules and standards for the scheduling, organization, and conduct of SCCA-sanctioned Club Racing events. To assist in the rules making process, the Club Racing Board has appointed specialized Advisory Committees to make recommendations to the CRB based on their research and knowledge of the items. Integral to this rules making process is the membership. Rules development and changes in vehicle specifications are often a result of requests made by you, the member. Let’s take at look at how this process works.

STEP 1 - Member Input

A member, be they a competitor or an official, has a concern (e.g. "My car is not fast enough" or "his/her car is too fast" or "I can't possibly wave five flags at once" or "all I do is look at other people's underwear," etc.). Thus a letter is written, preferably to Club Racing at the National Office in Topeka, where the staff records its receipt and distributes it to each member of the appropriate advisory committee and each member of the Club Racing Board.

STEP 2 - Advisory Committees

The advisory committee members individually review each member's input and recommend a course of action to the chairman of that committee. The chairman then consolidates the responses and in turn makes a recommendation to the Club Racing Board liaison(s).
Where there is not an advisory committee appropriate to the subject, the Club Racing Board will consider the matter exclusively themselves.”

You can read the complete text here:
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=72

If you log into SCCA’s site you can follow the link (midpage) from this page to the specific “2009 Boards/Committees”: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=89

So what should you include in your letter?

1. Your name

2. Your membership number

3. Your status (Driver, crew, supplier to SCCA racers, etc.)

4. Your Region (optional, but probably useful to those reading the letters)

5. The SCCA class effected (FV, all, etc.)

6. Reference to any Fastrack request for member input (if appropriate) e.g. April Fastrack: “The CRB requests input from the FV community about whether to allow dry sump systems.”

7. Reference to the specific GCR rule, e.g. GCR 9.1.1.C.5.D.29 (FV oil sump extensions)

8. Your specific opinion (or request) relative to 3 or 4 above, e.g. “Allow dry sumps in FV with the following restrictions: …” or “Do not change 9.1.1.C.5.29”, etc. Be especially clear here as this is essentially your “vote” yes or no on the issue.

9. Support your opinion/position on the issue with any facts you can supply. For instance regarding the oil sump extension this could include reference to data logs showing loss of oil pressure in corners, documented engine damage due to instantaneous loss of oil pressure, etc. Include any costs or cost savings you would anticipate due a change or lack of change to the rule. Discuss any competitive advantage issues you perceive to be relevant. Discuss how you think this rule change (or lack of change) fits with the philosophy or character of the class.

10. Any other comments you feel are appropriate regarding the issue.

Consider your audience. Be as brief as possible, but support your position as best you can.

I hope this helps those unsure of how to write their letter to the CRB.
Bruce
cendiv37
brian

Re: How to write a letter to the SCCA

Post by brian »

Bruce very good post, I know how hard it is to go through dozens of letters each month, every little bit of organization helps.

If I may make a suggestion: if the CRB wants GCR citations, i.e. 9.1.1.1. etc, they should include them in Fastrac. There will be confusion if a simple request for input is made without the GCR reference.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Brian,

Why don't you write a letter to the crb suggesting it!

Seriously: good suggestion.

But that's up to SCCA and the crb, not the FV committee. I'm just doing what I can to help them (the crb, etc.) from this side of the equation...
Bruce
cendiv37
Dave Gomberg

Post by Dave Gomberg »

Actually, whenever a proposed rule change,a new rule or a clarification is published, the GCR references are included. We don't include them for things that we don't approve because there isn't much point to doing it.

Dave