wanted amb transponder

Bill Carroll

wanted amb transponder

Post by Bill Carroll »

I just bought a Vee, school in 6 weeks, need transponder AMB 260. Anyone have an extra used one?
archon@ptd.net
DTW00

Re: wanted amb transponder

Post by DTW00 »

Bill,
I have an extra but would not be able to ship until 4/5. It's hardwired. Let me know if you're interested.
Dave
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

One is posted on e-bay, current bid is at 285, plus $10 for shipping not a great price for a used one but looks good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMB-Tran ... arQ5fParts

[ external image ]
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Remember...If you buy a used transponder you will have to pay AMB a $50 fee to activate it under your user ID.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Just to clarify that, the $50 applies to activating a new Mylaps account. The transponder will still work to record your lap times at the track, but you won't be able to go in and review all your session times without registering with Mylaps, so that will cost you the extra $50. Considering that, I've seen very few used transponders sell on eBay for what I would consider a reasonable price. By the time you pay $300+shipping and then add the fee, you might as well have just bought a brand-new one with a warranty.
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Matt's absolutely right. It's easier to just buy a new one. I started hammering AMB after buying a car with the transponder included and then finding out that AMB wouldn't let us transfer ownership. The only reason that AMB i\has created the $50 transfer fee is that a bunch of us on specmiata.com and improved touring.com hit them hard about their policies!!
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

For what it is worth. We bought a car with a hard wired AMB transponder and called the gentleman who owned it. He contacted mylaps and we inherited all his times from all his events.

John
fv42
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Is this $50 fee somethign new?
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

It's relatively new, but it actually replaces an earlier policy where they flat out refused to re-register a Mylaps account for a second hand transponder. This fee only applies to transferring a used transponder. Mylaps is still free for the original purchaser.
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

Wow!, this was the first time I posted here and you all have not only tried to help, but educated me as well, to all THANKS!
DTW00 let me know what you want for yours. my email is archon@ptd.net.
Thanks again,
Bill

P.S. I presume that they post lap times at the track? So if you own a pencil and paper you could right them down, like we used to do when I raced Solo 1? Or do they not post them and force you to use this Mylaps thing ( a monopoly?)
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Bill Carroll wrote:Wow!, this was the first time I posted here and you all have not only tried to help, but educated me as well, to all THANKS!
DTW00 let me know what you want for yours. my email is archon@ptd.net.
Thanks again,
Bill

P.S. I presume that they post lap times at the track? So if you own a pencil and paper you could right them down, like we used to do when I raced Solo 1? Or do they not post them and force you to use this Mylaps thing ( a monopoly?)
If you buy a BLIND APEX display from Jim?(not sure if he carrries them) or Pegasus Racing, you can display your current lap times and a host of other info right on your dash/steering wheel. It's a simple 2 wire hookup and enter your transponder # to use it!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Bill Carroll wrote:I presume that they post lap times at the track? So if you own a pencil and paper you could right them down, like we used to do when I raced Solo 1? Or do they not post them and force you to use this Mylaps thing ( a monopoly?)
Yes, they do (should) always post the times at the track - MOST of the time, they'll even have copy sheets for you to take with you. MyLaps.com is just a (NOT official) bennie offered by AMB. Most regions do post the info to it, but it's not real time - only posted at the end of the day at best, and often several days after the event is over - sometimes NEVER.

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

The useful thing about Mylaps is that it captures and displays the lap time from EVERY lap you ran during the event, not just the last and best laps, which is what you usually get on the posted T&S sheets, so if you don't have a data logger or other device to capture those laps, you may never have access to them and that can be handy infomation. It also stores the archive of your racing activities, at least for as long as AMB keeps it up. I've got data from races going back 3-4 years on Mylaps, and it's very useful for comparing results at various tracks over the years, plus other racers at other tracks. I find it invaluable info to have. Some regions will post timing sheets will all the individual session lap times in the results bulletin, but it's handy to have it available on the www too.