Road & Track FV Article - Look at this drawing!

stinkygod

Road & Track FV Article - Look at this drawing!

Post by stinkygod »

I'm selling a bunch of old Road & Track magazines on EBAY. This drawing is from the first major R&T Article

[ external image ]

You'll find the magazine here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=008

If there is a date or car you want me to find, email me at
stinkygod@sbcglobal.net

zack SFR
tppj

Re: Road & Track FV Article - Look at this drawing!

Post by tppj »

Obviously, the magazine is sold. Did SR Racing buy it? It looked like it might be them just by the moniker on ebay. If so, I wonder if copies of the Vee article might be made available to the teeming masses? Could make someone a few bucks, while feeding the need for the glorious history of our class.

Tom
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Tom,
I have received permission from R&T to republish that article and others more than 10 years old on the FV website (http://www.FormulaVee.us) and am "in the process" of getting it done. One article is already posted (from 1963) [see bottom of LINKS area on left of pages] - the other is the one listed here (1967) and it's in the works. It takes quite some time to get everything set up and readable on the web - the text is printed on a gray background and separating the text from the page has been quite challenging. I hope to get it completed and posted in the next week or so. Most of the graphic work is done - now I just have to get everything organized into a readable format, then publish it.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
tppj

Post by tppj »

Thanks Steve. It's people like you who keep the heritage of Formula Vee intact!

Tom
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Tom,
Not sure about how *I* fit into the picture, but you did inspire me to complete the project. (I bagged the idea of separating the gray from the text except where I HAD to to make it readable <G>). You can drop by and check out the entire article now. If anyone has more, drop me an email and I'll see about getting it posted for everyone to enjoy :mrgreen:
Steve
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

Steve,

I'm not sure how the cafepress.com works, but I did just recently purchase a AutoDynamics FV t-shirt from them. It came in 2 days and the quality was good for $15.

I would for sure purchase this article (or parts of it) as a poster, t-shirt, coffee mug, etc. May be a way for you to get reimbursed for your time spent and it would also give others a chance to show off our interest.

Keith
Pgh PA
64 AD
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Hmmm.... Interesting idea Keith. Maybe someone with some 'poster experience' will jump in here. Otherwise, I MIGHT remember to check it out sometime when I'm not quite so tied up on other things :P

What do you suppose such a poster might be worth to the average FV guy? (i.e. what would YOU pay for one?)

Steve
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

I'd pay $25-30 for a nice poster of this and $19 for a t-shirt. I think these are the going prints on the website.

You just need to find a teenager in the neighborhood - look for the one with no suntan lines on his arms. I had one fix my PC and gave him $20. He now stops by to see how it's running and he also gave me some free games - well worth the initial investment.

Keith
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Yes, It was us who purchased the magazine on EBAY. I think I am going to scan and clean up the drawing of the Vee and then reprint on a wall poster size paper. (I think I saw one similar in Butch's (DRE) old shop wall. ) If I get it done in my free time, I will post something on our web site (http://www.sracing.com) for people to order.
stinkygod

Post by stinkygod »

Hey, I'm the guy who sold SR the original via ebay. I made scans of each individual section of the drawing which came out better because of the lack of gutter and better resolution. Anyway, you can see these at the other FV website. If you want to have your own copies or sections, let me know & I'll email them.

Also:

I have this article from 1970 on Ebay. It compares FV to the New Proposed Super Vee!

Bidding starts at 99 cents.

Zack stinkygod@sbcglobal.net

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0224438459
[ external image ]
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

FV80 wrote:[T]he text is printed on a gray background and separating the text from the page has been quite challenging.
Steve, have you tried using optical character recognition (OCR) for that? It may not catch every character if the text is not sharp enough, but I've found it to do an impressive job in many cases. John
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

jpetillo wrote:Steve, have you tried using optical character recognition (OCR) for that? ...
John,
I CONSIDERED it, but don't have a really good OCR program and could see myself spending anOTHER 20 hours trying to get it to work right ... so I opted for the "picture" of the text instead. :mrgreen:
Steve
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

FV80 wrote:[John,
I CONSIDERED it, but don't have a really good OCR program and could see myself spending anOTHER 20 hours trying to get it to work right ... so I opted for the "picture" of the text instead. :mrgreen:
Steve
Understood. If you want me to try sometime, just drop me a PM. John
tppj

Post by tppj »

Thanks, Steve, for getting the article out there. It was a fascinating stroll down memory lane. My father & I became involved in 1968, when the class was still pretty new. Of couse, Butch was already a wily veteran by then! We started with a Bobsy Vangaurd, then went to Kellison, Beach, and Zink, in that order. The article's author, Whit Tharin, was a frequent subject of and participant in, the Formula Vee International publication "Vee Lines". That was a newsletter which was published for a number of years until FVI disbanded. My dad kept a 3-ring binder full of Vee Lines, but someone borrowed it and refused to return it, and it is now lost to the dust bin of history. What a shame! It was an amazing window into the early years of the class, and I wish I could share it with all of you. The gentleman who made all of this happen (I've forgotten his name, but he's a pivotal figure in FV history) was the original owner of "Petunia", the worlds most famous Formcar. In the pages of the newsletter, he detailed all of the modifications he undertook in an increasingly difficult battle to remain competitive with newer, slinkier cars. I still remember the issue in which he announced that Whit Tharin had ordered a Zink. He seemed disappointed to see another signpost illustrating the competitive demise of the Formcar.

An Aside-It's pretty cool that these drawings were done by Werner Buhrer. He was a legend in his own time. His drawings of all kinds of racecars, often in cutaway form, were just amazing. He does not disappoint here either!

Tom
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Thanks Tom - we owe Zack too - he started all this by putting his R&T mags on the block :mrgreen:
Steve