Regional motor, needs rebuild

tiagosantos

Regional motor, needs rebuild

Post by tiagosantos »

Just thought I'd post this up, we'll see how it goes.

This is the engine that came with my car when I bought it 2 years ago. It was built by Jess Heitman a few years ago, the heads are marked "Gray". Engine has about 25 hours on it and I pulled it when I bought a spare motor. Was planning to have this one rebuilt, but ended up needing an emergency rebuild on the "spare" (now main..) engine so that's where the money went.

It's a full flow motor, I can sell it complete, carb to clutch, as is. Carb and manifold are regional items, nothing fancy, but both are FV prepped.

I found small metallic shavings on the sump screen when the engine was pulled, so although it was running seemingly fine when I pulled it from the car, it definitely needs a rebuild. I thought about shipping it out for a rebuild, ask the builder to get it done as cheaply as possible and then sell it for 2 grand as a fresh motor.. Or I could sell it to you for $1000, ship it straight to your builder of choice (I can recommend you a good one, too! ;)) and you'll have the choice to have it done as cheaply or as expensive as you want. Nothing sucks more than buying a fresh engine that you have no idea about.

Anyway, I wanted to keep this as a spare engine, but I don't have the money to fix it and it's no good as a spare as is. I need money for tires, so make me an offer!

Engine is in Vancouver, BC, I can drive down to Bellingham/Seattle to ship if you're in the states. If you're on the West Coast, shipping might be around $100.
Bill_Bonow

Re: Regional motor, needs rebuild

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Tiago,

Just a little history for you.

The heads (or maybe more) are from L. Michael Gray (Mike Gray) or his busines "Gracing". The engine (if originally done by Mike) was more than likely pretty good. Mike was outside Kansas City, MO. He passed away about a month or two after Bill Noble. Mike was one of the few guys who could beat Noble on his home turf.

Good luck with the sale

Bill
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Bill, thanks for the note. I remember reading the news about his passing and wondering if there might be a connection.

From what I could gather about the engine, Jess Heitman built it using parts that the previous owner bought from various sources. So I don't think it was originally built by Mike Gray, or I wouldn't want to give that impression anyway :)
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

This has been sold for a while, kept forgetting to update the thread!