FV future #1 steering rack

CitationFV21

FV future #1 steering rack

Post by CitationFV21 »

Okay we have just had a successful event (SCCA Runoffs) where we established our class as the largest formula class there, and attracted new blood from karting, one of whom is the son of a Indy 500 winner.

To keep FV relevant, and yet also a entry level class, I want to propose some changes and discuss the pros and cons. I would like to keep each thread factual and focused. If there is another idea we can break it off into it's own thread.

The threads must be self-policing. If someone writes something that does not belong to the thread - DO NOT RESPOND.

If the person feels the point is valid they can pm me to start a new thread, or they can start their own. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Okay, for idea # 1.

I propose that, alongside the origional steering box, alternatively you can use a steering rack of any manufacture, as long as it provides no other function, besides steering the car.

Reasons:

One of the complains is that FV does not suit tall drivers. A big part of that is the steering system. Using a steering rack will allow many cars to accommodate taller drivers.

We do not want to change the wheelbase which might result in handling advantages or disadvantages that cannot be foreseen.

Using a steering rack instead of a steering box should be neutral as far as performance. No car will be obsoleted by this change, nor will it be mandatory to change.

The steering rack will be seen as a more modern design, and in fact, I believe every form of FV around the world allows it. The faster steering it allows, will suit drivers coming out of karting or coming down from classes like F5 or FF.

Possible issues.

There is always the problem of an inferior product usage or mounting. In my opinion this is no different than what we have today with the many styles do steering designs.

Okay, time to comment. Do you feel we should or should not consider steering racks to be allowed in FV?

If the results are positive, then they can be submitted to the new ad hock committee or put up for a class vote.

Chris Z
Citation #23
sharplikestump

Re: FV future #1 steering rack

Post by sharplikestump »

First, I am surprised by the lack of comment on these issues. Actually, very surprised.
On this suggestion, I see only positives. Allowing a taller driver to fit only increases the odds of larger fields. I do not see a performance advantage, and if someone else does, please educate me.
Additionally, having rented Vees for quite a few years, I have seen way to many steering box failures. Impact from whatever source can cause damage to the worm gear that shows up at any time in the future. This result is often a total loss of steering. This problem is aggravated by the use of inferior aftermarket units. I personally refrain from using the TRW box for this very reason.
Again, if others disagree, please share your opinion with us.
Mike P.
Last edited by sharplikestump on November 15th, 2016, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLS

Re: FV future #1 steering rack

Post by BLS »

Being a tall driver, and having wrestled with the issue, I don't see any answer for this in the steering box / rack. The max wheelbase is the issue. IF you max every bit of space available then the max wheelbase will allow a 6'4" driver of normal leg/torso length to fit. Barely.

Add a couple inches to the wheelbase and the issue is moot.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation