Tires

gbrianmetcalf

Tires

Post by gbrianmetcalf »

It looks like Continental tires has bought Hoosier.
http://www.imsa.com/news/102016/contine ... orporation
Do you all think this will affect us?

G.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Tires

Post by FV80 »

It seems they bought it because it was a money making enterprise. I don't think the change in ownership will have any noticeable impact on SCCA racing. Continental should recognize the success of the previous owners and follow that pattern with little, if any, change. At least they will if they have good sense :P
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Looking on the Hoosier website, I see 21.5 and 22.5's available with the R55A compound, is this the new spec tire or has it not yet been codified in the rules?
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Jim, I assume you are asking with reference to spec tires. The crb meeting minutes a couple of months ago indicated that spec tires for Formula Vee have been delayed until 2018. So, same ol same Ol Tire as usual for this year.
Steve, fv80
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Thanks Steve.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
CitationFV21

Re: Tires - 2017 Hoosiers

Post by CitationFV21 »

This is for anyone who has bought tires in 2017.

Has any changes been made at all to the 55 compound? How about price?

I was hoping we could "pre-buy" the spec tires, even if not in final form so we could put some miles on them in 2017.

ChrisZ
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Chris,
I haven't bought any tires this year, but am confident that there have been no changes in the C3000/55's. As for the "Spec Tires", the only ones I'm aware of were built by Hoosier and it was a very limited run, although I don't know exactly how many were built. Also, as far as I know, the RFP has still not been addressed by SCCA, and there have been some indications that SCCA will NOT just "award" to any company without said RFP. It is my guess that Hoosier will not spend any further $$$ on the program until they hear from SCCA. Since AR was awarded the FE Spec Tire last year, I also suspect that they will be significantly interested in competing for FV. Just MYHO, so I don't think there will be anything to 'prebuy'.
Steve, FV80
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

Hoosier was the only company to respond to the RFP. American racers are not being considered or evaluated. The FV Committee would like to see further durability tests. Regardless.. the decision will be made this fall regardless if further testing is done or not.

Contact the FV Committee members to get more off the record information if the subject is important to you.

Hoosier would probably make a run of spec tires if you were somehow able to guaranty a purchase of said quantity.

Brian