Spec Tire

Matt

Spec Tire

Post by Matt »

Is there any news about the survey from SCCA?
hardingfv32

Re: Spec Tire

Post by hardingfv32 »

The CRB has made the recommendation to proceed with a FV Spec Tire based on the results from the survey. That was a while ago so hopefully SCCA has issued a RFP to all the manufactures by now.

Brian
Matt

Post by Matt »

How did the results come out?

Will this be implemented fot the 2017 season?
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Matt,

As Brian said, the process has just started.

If it works like the FF Spec tire, the SCCA will send out Request For Proposal, (but if anyone has seen the final requirements, I think we would like to see it) and depending upon who responds, then they do testing.

It is very possible it will be in force in 2017, IF the process is finished before the end of the year, so tires can be produced for January 1.

ChrisZ
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

I will preempt the following comment with this statement: I have been a Hoosier Tire dealer for 30 years.
Additionally, I stress that this opinion is SOLELY mine, and carries ZERO validation from Hoosier.
In light of Hoosier currently being the only manufacturer of a nationally competitive tire for FV, does it make any sense to approach them with an offer to commit to running the exact tire (55A-C3000) that they are currently producing, as a spec tire. This way, we would know exactly what we would be getting from a well establisher American company that builds them here, has a fully established network, not only for supply, but for trackside service. In trade for this commitment for a set period (for example, 5 years), which would relieve them from any R&D and testing period, we ask for a substantially better price. Thoughts?
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

In all probability no other manufacture is going to respond to the FV Spec tire RFP. It is though that Goodyear is almost out of Club Racing after loosing the SRF Spec Tire. No one but Hoosier responded to the FF Spec Tire RFP. The current Hoosier FV tire does not meet the durability requirement of the FV RFP. Hoosier has indicated that they can/will use the SM compound on the existing FV tire construction. This would be the first combination they test.

This will not be problematic transition.

Brian
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Having discussed the Spec Tire issue with a few people (not many....just a few), I am already seeing that there are two distinct trains of thought:

Group A wants a harder tire that is more durable, reducing cost. At least at this point, this group thinks they are willing to trade some grip for tires that last longer. How well does that work when racing with hotter classes that already out handle Vees?

Group B wants all the grip they have now, thinks that committing to the present tire at a reduced price is the way to go.
How much less expensive would a set have to be?

In a way, these plans are opposites, but I see merit in both. Any compromises? How sacred is the contingency program?
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

This ship has sailed. We are beyond discussion and compromise. You must have been on vacation when this all went down.

The SM compound is said to be twice as durable with only a small lost of performance. That is the observation of the SM users.

Worrying about faster cars is a pointless cause. To many variables involved. There are slow FF's that can cause grief for FV's so this issue extends beyond car specifications.

Brian
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Do you KNOW that it is a done deal? Sure seems like there would have been some testing. I spoke with Hoosier Tuesday or Wednesday, and they had no such info!
Did you learn this since your post on March 18th? Apparently, you know more than either of us.
I have absolutely no position on what the final decision is. Makes zero difference to me which tire I sell.
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

My posts clearly state what in all probability will take place based on past precedent.

Brian
hardingfv32

Post by hardingfv32 »

I should also state that in all probability there will not be any tire contingencies. This seems to be the current SCCA position relative to spec tires and Hoosier says prices can be reduced if there are no contingencies.

Brian