Could use some help.

sharplikestump

Could use some help.

Post by sharplikestump »

Tom Kaufman, forever Vee person, originator of the VDF Formula Vee, and all-around great guy has had a very serious accident, shattering his left leg, and will be laid up for an extended period. You can read more about it at "Go Fund Me" under "Tom's Medical Fund" and if you find it in your heart to do so, a donation would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Mike Palermo Jr.
Last edited by sharplikestump on March 24th, 2016, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Could use some help.

Post by FV80 »

I caution EVERYONE about this. With a quick google search, I found no less than TEN different postings requesting money for "Tom's Medical Fund" - each one for entirely differently described people and accidents. I'll try to reach Tom himself in the next 24 hours and see if this is in fact a true representation of his needs.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

OK... as stated, I have researched this and actually spoke to Tom on the phone earlier today. I have verified the story... he had an accident on a sailboat when the wind changed suddenly, swinging the main boom around at high speed and catching Tom in the leg. He and his wife, Laura, were fortunately close enough to shore to make an emergency cell phone call and had medical help waiting when they made their way to the closest marina.

This happened about 3 weeks ago and Tom will not be able to be on his feet working for several more weeks. They do have some medical insurance, but nothing to make up for lost wages and copays. They are returning home today after spending recent weeks with Laura's family until Tom was able to negotiate the ride home.

I have received the direct link to the PROPER GoFundMe account - it is.
https://www.gofundme.com/kjz8cgjv.
You will find a note there from Tom's daughter, Lauren, (who set up the fund) giving more details. At this link, I also see a picture of a couple of people I actually KNOW. None of the original ten that I found with Google had that.

Any donations would be welcome .. whatever you can spare will help.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Thanks Steve. The direct link saved a lot of time searching.

Dietmar
Quixote Racing
VDF-1

Post by VDF-1 »

Thanks for the support guys! I haven't been active in Vees for quite a few years now, but as Mike said, forever FV guy. I lurk here, and always follow the Vee races and results. I'd love to get back in one, one of these days.

Again, many thanks!

Tom Kaufman