American Racer compounds

jphoenix

American Racer compounds

Post by jphoenix »

I see on American Racer's website that they list two compounds for the FV tire, a 131 and a 132 compound - they say 131 is softer. Anyone have any insight on what works better or availability? Boubin's website only list the 132 compound. I like the idea of 131 up here in the PNW where it rarely gets very warm, maybe see a blistering 85 degrees in Portland in August.

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
DFC17

Re: American Racer compounds

Post by DFC17 »

Iv'e been running AR's for years and have never seen the softer compound. A couple of years ago we inquired with AR about the softer compound for the runoffs at Laguna and they said that they could make it but they would have to make a whole batch of tires which was something like 50. That was the end of that discussion........
Scott
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Yeah, Boubin replied to my inquiry stating they can only get the 132 compound. Still, four new tires for $400 sure is nice.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
FVartist42

Post by FVartist42 »

The last time I saw the 131 compound was at Mid Ohio. It was used by a lone competitor named Ian Sweeney, who unfortunately does not drive any longer. The car is still campaigned by his brother on the west coast. If you were member of SCCA in 2003 you can still see him in his car at Mid Ohio. He had an article written up on him and his car. It was in the Sportscar magazine. I believe he finished 15th.
We were never allowed to use them on the west coast, so have no idea as to how they performed.