Tire wear

jphoenix

Tire wear

Post by jphoenix »

I'm running on a set of American Racers that have about six weekends on them, which includes 4 track sessions and typically 5 20 minute test and tune sessions. I think they are still OK because the car still seems to handle the same this past weekend - if not a little better due to some suspension tweaking.

I did notice that the outside corners of the tires have rounded off noticeably due to scrubbing around the corners. The outside of the sidewall to circumference patch junction is much rounder on the outside than on the inside. This makes complete sense, and I'm wondering if I should pop the tires off and flip them around? This would change rolling direction as well, any downside to this idea - or is it just a waste of time?

The tires have small dimples in them tread (slick) area - are the dimples wear indicators, once they're worn down to the bottom of the dimple, I should buy new tires - or are they a manufacturing feature?

Thanks,

Jim
FV44
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
FVartist42

Re: Tire wear

Post by FVartist42 »

You could, but I never did. I just used them down to the cord. They seemed to hold up until then, but as soon as it hit the cord, you'll know. I'll guess at between 15 to 20 heat cycles.
jphoenix

Re: Tire wear

Post by jphoenix »

OK, thanks.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44