Carrera shock replacement question

jphoenix

Carrera shock replacement question

Post by jphoenix »

My left front Carrera shock is just along for the ride, no longer damping anything but my spirits. It appears a replacement is the Carrera QA1-7551, does that sound right to you guys? Should I buy two 7551's and replace both fronts?

Is there another, better shock that is lower cost than Penske? I would like to have penske's all around, but at my novice level, I truly need only a working shock at this point. Any suggestions appreciated. The Carrera on the rear (zero roll caracal) is also a Carrera and more learned folks than I have suggested it is also less than optimal, but it seems to be working fine.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
BLS

Re: Carrera shock replacement question

Post by BLS »

Jim,
You might want to consider using VW steering dampers as front shocks. Reasonable price and run by quite a few people over the years. It is all I ever used back in the dinosaur age.

I believe the VW bus is the one that has the correct mounts on each end. The bug ones will not work.

Regards,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Jim,
I agree with Barry, for someone that is "early in their vee racing career". The only problem with using the steering dampers is that they are somewhat fragile. The shaft size is quite small and they wear out rather quickly and don't tolerate abuse very well. That said - don't CRASH them and they are fine for a couple of years. You can save a LOT of money while refining your race craft :lol: .

I used them for many years before converting to "official race" type shocks.... only after I quit abusing them as above :-).

As for the rear - I consider them (it) *MUCH* more important in the handling category but, if what you have seems to work OK, I'd stick with it until you reach a point where you can assure yourself that the car handling is the limiting factor in your quest for MORE SPEED!!

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I'll find some bus steering dampers.

I'm having a blast with this car, did five test and tune sessions today in heavy rain here at The Ridge and it's handling very well, engine is running great and everything is working. These many years old goodyear dog bones are still doing a great job, even with a few mistakes, they just held on until I figured it out. Track is drying and we'll be on slicks for the rest of the weekend. Only two vees here this weekend, but still having fun!
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
WNYVeeRacer

Post by WNYVeeRacer »

+ 1 on what Barry says too. I've been using the bus/transporter steering dampers for years.... They don't last forever... but at the price you can get em at !!!!! who cares. ( sure beats several hundred $$ a corner)

If you Google VW bus steering stabilizer you get https://www.google.com/#q=vw+bus+steering+stabilizer ( may have to copy & paste link)..... the 1 st e-bay posting is pretty cheap, even with shipping.... and the mfg part # 211-425-021A is exactly what I've been using. ( in fact, thanks for this thread -- I just ordered some for myself!)

you may have to use different mounting bolts, or remove the steel tube insert in one of the rubber bushings ( clamp on a vise grip & wiggle away)... but then they fit well and fit the bill.

Good luck in your racing endeavors.

Dennis
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Would suggest that anyone running the bus steering damper buy the ones listed on the E-Bay link. Don't know from where he is getting them , but at that price ( $16) they are cheaper than what I pay from my supplier.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
gbrianmetcalf

Post by gbrianmetcalf »

Just ordered some... Can't beat that deal. Good spares if nothing else.

G.