Hell Awaits (I Hope)

NotMoss

Hell Awaits (I Hope)

Post by NotMoss »

I sincerely hope that there is a special place in Hell for those who hack bulletin board websites to pitch commercial products! These people are beneath contempt. They must live in the true armpits of the earth and crawl out to pitch this crap. They certainly are not familiar with legitimate online marketing.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
Rob Howden

Re: Hell Awaits (I Hope)

Post by Rob Howden »

I agree, Ted.

I've removed the posts and banned the IP. Hoepfully that will help. Not sure how they got through the activation process, which is manual, as we get a 100 spam accounts a day.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

NotMoss wrote:They certainly are not familiar with legitimate online marketing.
Actually, they know all about online marketing. It is called SEO - search engine optimization. When Google and other search engines index search results, they give higher rankings to web sites with lots of links to other web sites. Hence, forums being attacked like this one just was, not to sell to the members but rather to get their link out so that the search engines would see it and rank them higher. Legitimate marketers play the same game, trying to raise their rankings using SEO tricks. There's even plugins for Wordpress and other blog software that were included for just this purpose.

The problem is that even CAPTCHA (type the scrambled text in the box above) can be bypassed using third-world labor, where Nigerians will gladly accept pennies to create a forum account and then sell it to the bad guys once it exists and has enough posts/credibility to post without moderation. The fact that the software on this site apparently hasn't been updated since 2007 makes it more vulnerable to their abuse, and also vulnerable to hacking since I'm sure that there were lots of security holes plugged in software that was apparently last updated when Bush was in the White House.....
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

Please note that I used the word "legitimate" in referring to online marketing. This is pure spam at its most malicious level.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Speaking of eternal damnation, I was on a stage several years ago sitting directly next to the president of the Direct Marketing Association...and had enough self-control to not strangle him on the spot for all the times that my dinner was interrupted by telemarketers who were members of his organization. Had I not been sitting in an auditorium full of lawyers with a satellite uplink to federal offices all over the country, the outcome probably would have been different. :twisted: As Ambrose Bierce said, "There are four types of homicide - felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy....."