More tire info...

SR Racing

More tire info...

Post by SR Racing »

I just placed my first tire order from Hoosier for 2014 and guess what? No price increases for 2014 and none are planned. Considering the GY fallout, this is really surprising news. Wholesale prices on tires have gone up every year from 3 to 7%.

Jim
SR
hardingfv32-1

Re: More tire info...

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Not a surprise if you look at the SCCA contingency program. There are no tire contingencies at the Divisional or Regional level events this year as compared to last year. Only the Majors races are covered this year. So that means a total of 150 tires at say $75 (cost?) = $11,250.

Note: VW is not on board yet!

Brian
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Still nice that the tire budget will hold stable for the normal racer..
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Still nice that the tire budget will hold stable for the "average" racer..
Mystique Racing

Post by Mystique Racing »

I just purchased 2 sets of Hoosiers and paid $1500.00 That would have bought me 3 sets of American racers that would last me all season. If I am lucky I will get 2 major races out of my 2 sets of hoosiers. Am I the only one that thinks that this cost is out of proportion with the concept that this class was originally based on? I would expect these kind of tire costs in DSR, or FF, or FC, etc, etc, but it just doesn't make sense in FV.

Hoosier is a good tire company. They make an awesome tire for FST that is priced about the same but lasts 2-3 times as long. I am sure that they could make a great FV tire that would last as long as the FST tire if they wanted. I am not going to thank Hoosier for not raising the price of their tires for us "Average" racers.

Ridiculous....
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Make sure you save a little for Laguna Runoff specific performance items. Like an exhaust system that moves 2 hp form the 6500 rpm range to the 4500 rpm range.

Brian
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

How much is a set of American Racers and can they be purchased on the eastcoast?

I found the answer http://www.americanraceronline.com/Dist ... index.html just can not find the price
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
Mystique Racing

Mark,

Last time I purchased AR's I believe they were $95.00 ea for the fronts and $125.00 ea for the rears.
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

If you only get two Majors weekends out of two sets of tires; you are doing something wrong.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

smsazzy wrote:If you only get two Majors weekends out of two sets of tires; you are doing something wrong.
Yes Scott , slow down. And spend $15/18/21/24 per tire (whatever your at-track provider charges) to flip them on the wheels after every session.

As long as people are "content" with the current tires, tire sponsorships, and "no price increase for the average racer" nothing will change. It is ridiculous!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Mystique Racing

Yes Scott , slow down. And spend $15/18/21/24 per tire (whatever your at-track provider charges) to flip them on the wheels after every session.

As long as people are "content" with the current tires, tire sponsorships, and "no price increase for the average racer" nothing will change. It is ridiculous!
We need a "LIKE" button on this forum like Face Book......

The other problem is I had no time to "Break In" the tires, so I will suffer the consequences I guess............. The whole thing stinks.
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Your are sure that tire break-in is necessary?

Based on the myth, you are probably will only get one weekend out of a set. If you get two weekends out of the set, does that indicate that break-in is not necessary?

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the 2014 Hoosier contingency program has not been published. Hooiser is awaiting budget info.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Hoosier 2014 seems to be listed with SCCA, but not VW.

I wonder if VW paid out to anyone but FV last year.

Brian
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I talked to Hoosier at Sebring and they ARE "on the program" for FV for 2014. They are also listed in the SCCA contingency list now.

From what I've heard, VW will NOT be participating in FV this year.

Brian - VW paid out quite a bit of dollars last year to classes other than FV. In fact, from what I could tell, MOST of their contingency dollars went to classes that were NOT FV.. but VW built and powered, of course.
Hmmm.. rethinking that.. VW *OFFERED" more money to other classes.. But I'm not sure they had to actually PAY any out to anyone ... I didn't track those classes for winners.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

FV80 wrote:I talked to Hoosier at Sebring and they ARE "on the program" for FV for 2014. They are also listed in the SCCA contingency list now.

From what I've heard, VW will NOT be participating in FV this year.

Brian - VW paid out quite a bit of dollars last year to classes other than FV. In fact, from what I could tell, MOST of their contingency dollars went to classes that were NOT FV.. but VW built and powered, of course.
Hmmm.. rethinking that.. VW *OFFERED" more money to other classes.. But I'm not sure they had to actually PAY any out to anyone ... I didn't track those classes for winners.

Steve, FV80
Now VW has their stickers plastered all over our cars :roll:
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
brian

Post by brian »

I see the 2014 contingencies have been posting and it appears that Hoosier will be participating in Majors only. Total national events will be down roughly 40% from 2013. This reduction is intentional and was planned to eliminate smaller under subscribed events that proved financially challenging for the regions. As of 2014, there are no more rationals which were an attempt for regions to make ends meet.

VW was incredibly generous to include vees in their program in prior years and we owe some thanks to them.

I strongly recommend that everyone check out the website to see the other contingencies available through the Majors. I noticed that Summit and Carbotech have something for vees.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

VW of America has had the head up there ass as far as club racing , and FV in particular is concerned for the last 30 years. The fact that they paid out anything in that time is a miracle as they see no value for them in it and concider it a complete waste of there resources. While I still race a VW powered car I has virtually no parts sourced from VWOA in it. I have quit buying VW street vehicles and now drive Mazda's as they are a company that sees value in club racing and puts there company resources behind it.
Butch
FV since1963