XT Racing GPX Pro Data Acquisition / Dash

SR Racing

XT Racing GPX Pro Data Acquisition / Dash

Post by SR Racing »

I sold a couple of these over the last 3 years and have never used one myself. It looks like a simple set up with any sensors. I don't remember who I sold those two and never heard any feedback pro or con. (I would have to restore my Peachtree files from 2+ years ago.) Anyone have any experience with them? Feedback?
Mark_Silverberg

Re: XT Racing GPX Pro Data Acquisition / Dash

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

Jim, you sold one to me which I use in my Lynx B Vintage formula vee.

For the price it is tough to beat if you want both GPS data and vehicle data at a reasonable price.

The good points.
1) GPS ability requires no beacon and gives you speed position and elevation every place around the track.
2) The display is completely configurable - meaning that you can change position and font size of every parameter.
3) The lap timer function is typically quite accurate.
4) The input parameters are fairly flexible allowing a number of different options for sensors and inputs. if you do not know the parameters of the sensors you will need to calibrate them before using. XT is now offering their own line of sensors which may simplify things a little.
5) You can review the track map and look at your speeds right on the dashboard of the session. It may also display other parameters such as rpm - I will have to check.
6) The unit is tiny and will suface mount on a dash so is good for big drivers such as myself which need lots of leg room.
7) You can save up to four vehicle / driver configurations on the unit and move it to different vehicles easily.
8) Unit is pretty easy to calibrate and set up.
9) Accelerometer data seems to be pretty smooth and accurate
10) Unit is self powerd if needed , light and portable, Can also be used to track acceleration runs. I even used it to log the acceleration and top speed of my dog - this was probably not the intended use. Dog performance data available on request

The bad points
1) GPS resolution is only 5hz - units such as the AIM solo are 10hz
2) Analysis software is basic and does not allow same level of comparison / optimization as AIM software.
3) Analysis software does not support math chanels - you can dump time series data into an excel flat file for analysis if needed.
4) Early units hatd a plastic case with an internal GPS antenna - durability is ok - later units had an aluminum case but an external gps antenna which is slightly more difficult to package in a formula car.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Mark,

Thanks lots. That is exactly what I was looking for...
I did finally find that sales invoice. Looks like you got an AIM Throttle position sensor with it. Did you intergrate that to the GPX ?
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

I use an AIM throttle position sensor and an autometer brake pressure sensor in my system. XT has since release their own line of sensors but I would still prefer the size of the aim unit for TPS. I mount in on the drivers left side of the carb and have added and extra arm to the throttle shaft on that side -very clean installation. I reverse engineered the wiring harness of the autometer gauge so I could break out just the brake sensor (which required its own 5V power soursce)

A couple of additional comments.

XT tech support and user forums are very good.
The XT dash does not have temp or pressure alarms like an AIM unit. I run a separate SPA combined Temp and pressure gauge with its own alarm
The dash can be surface mounted so I have it at the height of the front roll hoop - it is really visible - unlike a conventiona gauge which often have to be installed lower..

The dash can not be mounted on a steering wheel unless you deactivate the accelerometers which will make track mapping much less accurate. We sometimes run the dash on a kart to get lap times and the track map of the 0.41 mile sprint track some times has some errors.

XT does not offer an EGT sensor which is a bit of an oversight on their part - I would like to have that ability.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B