Share your FV 50th Photos...

aqualls

Share your FV 50th Photos...

Post by aqualls »

Dear all,

If you took photos at the event, and feel like sharing..send them along. Go to: formulaveeracing.org/fv50th for information.

It helps to capture the entirety of the event...from many points of light!

Best, Anna
billinstuart

Re: Share your FV 50th Photos...

Post by billinstuart »

I drove up from Florida and went to track Saturday.

What an awesome event. Well run and well attended. Credit goes to those involved with putting this event together! Saw old cars, old friends, new cars, new friends. A gorgeous day for both drivers and visitors.

Ironically, I attended one of the first Vee races..Daytona in 196(3)?. Prelim race before the continental. Searched in vain for my pictures from that event. Little did I know I'd be racing on of those cars 14 years later.

Anyhow a huge THANKS! to those responsible for organizing and running this outstanding event, and God bless the tireless volunteers like Sharon and Dave Rollow, TJ Walsh, Fay Craft, and all the other invaluable individuals who donate their time and energies to make club racing possible.

Bill Frondorf
hars550

Post by hars550 »

I would have to say it was well atteneded but NOT well run.
Just my 2 cents. I was in Group 1 Vintage.
40 some cars in Group 1 and 4 cars in Group 5. Stupid Stupid.
They were concerned more about the modern cars than the true
Vintage Vees. Plus the management was the most unhelpful
and unhappy bunch I have ever seen at an event.
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Well I guess hars you'd just put on the most perfect event. You cannot judge how many cars will show up - I have been an event organizer before and there is ALWAYS someone with a keyboard that thinks they can do better.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Well, I heard some grumbling, but that's par for the course with SCCA. Can't comment on grouping..was the 5 car field the 1600's?

Hey! At least it was ALL Vees..no door slammers, no Atlantics, no enduros.

To me, it was worth the trip, and I wished I was behind the wheel again............
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

The 5 car group was "everything else" besides current and monteposto vees. They combined groups 5 and 6 and eliminated one of the expected current vee groups (~65 total current cars there). Only 4 FST showed (though they had a great race) and only 4 VARA cars showed. 2 of the VARA cars (D-13s) ran with the Monteposto group and the other 2 ran with in the FST group.. but one broke I guess. No SuperVees showed.

Wasn't much that could be done about it. Couldn't run the FST's with any other group and we had the track time available. Can't really see why ANYONE would have anything to complain about. From my perspective,it's been quite a while since I had a race where I didn't have to worry about a different class car coming up behind me at 40+ MPH closing rate - that alone was worth the price of admission.
Friday weather started out light rain and misty and cleared up by lunch - with FANTASTIC GEORGIA SPRING WEATHER the rest of the event!

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
gbrianmetcalf

Post by gbrianmetcalf »

We came down from upstate NY and would do it again tomorrow. We had hauler issues twice on the way down but it was meant to be. We met some of the most wonderful people at the two dealerships we stopped at! They got us on our way and we made it on Friday.
Honestly no matter what the event organizers did there would be grumbling. The split start in group one was because of someone grumbling, so it was a lose-lose situation.
I thought the event was awesome! I saw the organizers being very helpful to many of the entrants. They were also very helpful to us as a non-competitor. All in All I thought it went well and the organizers should be commended for all their hard work. Thank you for putting on a memorable birthday event!
We will post our photos as soon as I can find the correct connecting cord for my camera.
G.
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

We made the trip from Michigan and im ready to do it again. Had a Great time. We never had any problems with anybody running the event, they went out of there way to answer any question i had and if they didnt know the answer they got the corerect one for us.

As Steve said it was Great to be on the track and didnt have to worry about any other class's out there. The only suggestion i gave was on friday i wished in the afternoon that they would have split the modern from the vintage groups instead of odd and even.

I had a chance to bring a beautiful Lynx (Mark Silverbergs car) down to run in Vintage, I'm glad i choose not to cause it was way to busy, but most likey for the next birthday party. :mrgreen:
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
hughie 56

Post by hughie 56 »

We had 5 cars at the event and everyone had a great time! Lots of on track time. Only Formula Vees running (no Miatas). We felt it was a well run event.
We wish we can a few events like this every year.
Thanks to everyone who helped put it on.
Hughie
Kim 291

Post by Kim 291 »

I agree with the majority here. It was an awesome event. We came from California (and are still driving home) We would do it again in a heartbeat. We met so many great people and made some new friends. I also was very excited to meet Ray Caldwell and everyone who built this great Vee we call the D-13.

I have to put out a HUGE THANK YOU to Dietmar from Quixote Racing! Without the awesome engine you built me and all the hard work you and my family put in the outcome would not have been the same. I could have never done this without your help.

I hope to return to the East to race with you all again. 8)

Kim Madrid
FV. 291
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

I tend to agree with Hars as this was my first "SCCA" event (have raced 10+ years in vintage) and was shocked at the attitude by some of the management towards the non-scca folks. I was told repeated by 2 ladies that I needed to "read and know the supps"... I was asking for help to find registration. Never really got an answer to I walked away and into the concession stand and there it was. They were pissed about me not cutting some wrist band off from Friday, geez.

Also kind of surprised that the Group 1 vintage race was not red flagged or at least black flag all in the Sunday race when the major incident happened. Doing 6+ laps under double yellow was not fun and I was passed by 4 different folks during this time in front of T2 & 3 flag stations. I got most of my spots back with the final green flag lap, but was hoping for a few more green laps when we had so much extra time in the day (1 race group eliminated at the start and ended an hour early). Glad we did get the extra qualifying session on Sat.

Saying that - I would go back to this event tomorrow... What a great environment to have only FVs (for a year or two I was the only one in the VRG club and I kept checking to make sure I did not have a kick me sign on my back) and to meet some of the folks that I have been talking with for some many years - Ray, Del, Butch, Fred, Jim, JR & so many more. The party was great and no one can complain about the door prizes... Thanks to Lisa (loved the fistful of $100), Quick Silver $1000 gift certs, AutoWerks for random $100 found in my car after the last race and many others. Kudos to the event organizers!!!

See you at the 55th.
Keith Lawrence
Pittsburgh PA
1964 AutoDynamics Mark 1
VRG event chair for Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Historic Races at PittRace - come run with us!!! http://www.pvgp.org
Thomas Galuardi

Post by Thomas Galuardi »

I drove 1000 miles from Connecticut. I was slowest, but had a great time.
It was well organized and well run. Thanks to Nick and Dietmar I ran all sessions.
Met a lot of great people, and the dinner was fabulous. Thank you to all that
put in the hard work and thank you to Duke and Faye for the wine. Thank you
to Hoosier for the test day. I had a blast!!!
Thank you all.
Tom FV 20
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I thought they did a fantastic job. I heard the normal grumbling about the volunteer workers flexing their "authority", but that comes with the SCCA, :lol:

The grouping of the FST's alone was assumedly done because they had plenty of time and didn't want to possibly screw up the Brundage Cup race which is the biggest part of the weekend, They also didn't know for sure how many FST's and/or SuperVees etc. might show. I think there would have been far more complaints if they put the FST's in with the FV's (any FV's) Only 4 FST's showed up because it is not a points race for us and the travel was quite a bit for most of us. Plus with a regular FFDA 10 race series, the budget is pushed. Steve is right, we had a great race and a great time.
No complaints here. (and our brakes worked great. :lol: )
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

I did attend the 45th birthday party in 2008 but was unable to attend this year. For that I was very sad. The birthday party is not like other SCCA events and participants must understand that some race groups will be larger than others as some race groups are more popular. There were more F First in 2008 but it sounds like the organizers did the best they could to accomodate everyone.

Regarding the monoposto cars being second priority to SCCA - I just have to call BS on this. There is no stronger a advocate for Vintage Formula Vee in the country than Mike Jackson. He has travelled the country running with different organizations and has met most of the competitors east of the Mississippi. He is not reluctant to stand up for what he believe is correct and there is no way he would have been involved in this event if the Monoposto Vees did not receive fair treatment.

Yes 40 vintage vees in one race group was a lot. There were 35 in 2008 and because of issue in qualifying I ended up starting abour 32nd and drove through the field to 14th just running out of laps to catch P13 and P12. Yes there was traffic - but there are plenty of places to pass at Roebling Road. Surely of all the racers in the world, FV drivers should be able to deal with traffic.

The split start in group 1 this year was probably to avoid the issue which occured in 2003 at road america when a later year car on slicks ended up in the middle of the monposto race separating the 4th place driver from P1to 3. It soulds like it worked out as well as possible

No other road racing class has people so devoted that they have been able to keep a national festival going for 30 years. This is not because of some big corporate backing - but rather because of grass roots devotion. The birthday party is unique and special - while it may not be perfect it is something that all FV drivers should support if possible.

For me it will be five very long years until the next event.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B
Kim 291

Post by Kim 291 »

Here are more pictures from the race. My daughter Dana took these.

50th Vee Birthday

http://throughdanaseyes.wordpress.com/5 ... -birthday/

Kim Madrid
fV 291
ajax

Post by ajax »

First I want to say I had a great time and very much appreciate the time and efforts everyone involved in putting on this event put into it, it was a BLAST!

This is in no way a criticisum of anyone or the SCCA, just an observation. But I can now see why SCCA seems to be losing membership. Since 2000 I have only been involved with vintage groups, with about 5 of those years being head of Tech for CVAR , and a Board member, so I understand the dynamics involved in putting on an event. Plus, all of the vintage events I have attended, there always seemed to be a very strong feeling to make sure the folks had a great time and had as much track time as could possibly be given, in other words bang for the buck. I assumed once the number of cars and what groups of cars were attending, an adjustment would be made to maxamize track time for these groups, and on Saturday this was done to some extent. However for Sunday race schedual nothing was done and the vintage group was limited to a single event, which for some reason was deemed suitable to run 6 laps under double yellow with a single final green lap rather then call us in untill the siuation on track was resolved. All of this seemed to be based on getting out of Dodge by 2PM, even with the SCCA vees getting their two races. While I understand everyone wants to get on the road, why was 2 PM so important? Why couldn't the vintage vees have gotten at least aONE complete race, or even a second event on Sunday, with everyone on the road by 4PM. Just my 2 cents.
Keith Lawrence

Post by Keith Lawrence »

Looking thru the 25th birthday party program (thanks for this bonus at the event!), it seems to be missing the vintage entry list and I am wondering if anyone would have this in their papers.

My car was an entrant and I'm trying to do some additional research on past owners.

My car now has matching FV Birthday party stickers - 25th & 50th. THANKS TO ALL FOR ORGANIZING!

Thanks.
Keith Lawrence
Pittsburgh PA
1964 AutoDynamics Mk1
Silver # 36