remember "Pro Vee"?

grimes34

remember "Pro Vee"?

Post by grimes34 »

Hi youz,
I would like to get the results from the Pro-Vee race they had at the "Oval" near Road Atlanta I forget when?
eugene Team2Stool deviant
hughie 56

Re: remember "Pro Vee"?

Post by hughie 56 »

Yep, Lanier Raceway. I remember it well. I will look for results when I get home.
Hughie
hughie 56

Post by hughie 56 »

Ed Womer one the 1st race at the track.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Alan May led most of the race till he scrubbed the wall (on his own) going into T3 and could not continue. Wasn't that 1992? The Lanier race was the day after the FV Runoffs race at Road Atlanta. I won the Runoffs that year, but crashed and hurt my foot during the afternoon practice when another car spun, then pulled back out right in front of me. I don't believe there were any other significant crashes during the event. Pretty sure that was the only race we ever had there. Also think that the only other oval race for Pro Vee was at IRP on the oval. There was a HUGE crash where at least 2 drivers were injured - sorry, can't recall who. One spun, then the other slammed into him head/head at full speed and went up and over. .. I wasn't at the race, but I remember hearing about it and later saw a couple of pictures (that was before cell phone video .. or cell phones at ALL :lol: .

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

I was involved in the mess at IRP. In qualifying the track was juuuuust about flat out in 4th. In the race the times were significantly quicker due to the draft, but mostly still flat in 4th. Impossible to pass - pull out and you went backwards. We basically were following the leader the entire time. The lead train of cars was about 10-15, and we came up on some lappers. There was a brief contact, someone spun, and the entire train of cars piled into each other. I got launched up over one of the Leskovecs (mark I think) - my front tire pushed his helmet down as my front cross member sheared off his roll bar. I continued into the catch fence, but stayed upright and didn't have any major sudden stop. 4 of us went to the hospital - Me, Jeff Loughhead, Mark Leskovec and one other. 2 of us were released that night, the others the next day I believe. There's a reason spint cars have full cages.
brian

Post by brian »

Actually Steve, I remember the race but thought it was 93. I chose to save my car and not participate. I was standing right where Alan hit the wall and knew it was coming. He got wider and wider each lap. I made a joke just before it happend and found out his family was standing right next to me. oops! We all became good friends and our paths crossed many times afterwards.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
rgu

Post by rgu »

I actually have a video of this race which was I believe shot by Doug Seim. Greg Rice ended up winning the race after Allen hit the wall. Everyone close to crash felt that Allan's rear brake drum cracked and caused the crash.

Not a place for FV with those concrete walls.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I can't believe how you guys remember these things!
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Actually Greg Bruns touched wheels with someone. We (and he) thought that is when it started.

I remember Greg (Schings) and I talking to Mike V after the mishap, and Mike wasn't sure where he was. :-) He has mostly recovered...
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

rgu wrote:I actually have a video of this race which was I believe shot by Doug Seim. Greg Rice ended up winning the race after Allen hit the wall. Everyone close to crash felt that Allan's rear brake drum cracked and caused the crash.

Not a place for FV with those concrete walls.
That was Allen's explanation, but everyone else figured he just drove it into the wall.

If Hughey cannot find results, I can look. I probably have them. Took me 8 monthes to collect my "Pro" prize money, $600, which until HPD entered FF, was my biggest career payday :lol:

Eugene had a good day, finishing 3rd maybe?

I do not believe FVs believe on ovals, certainly in 4th gear. Tighter tracks, using only 3rd gear are much safer, still not great, but oil temps not good.

I was at the "Night before the 500" F2000 race the year after they had their "big one" with broken legs, etc. The stress in the paddock that day was higher than any other race, Club, Runoffs, or Pro, that I have ever attended.

BTW, glad to hear Eugene survived the surge. Did Sandy take your FV memorobilia?
Last edited by problemchild on November 17th, 2012, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Rice
Womer
Kaiser
Siebenaler
Grimes

That was Roger's first weekend in the Mysterian.
Hoosier and Goodyear were pretty even.
Eugene was in some greenish D-13.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
grimes34

Tankx Greg,

Post by grimes34 »

Thankx

I thought I was there!

Are you going to the Atlantic City Indoor Car race? ...Me, Bruce, Bill & Ed will be there!

I am gonna start getting my vee ready for the birthday party, After we get back from the "ChumpCar" race @ Road Atlanta

Hope ta see ya soon !
eugene Team2Stool deviant
problemchild

Re: Tankx Greg,

Post by problemchild »

grimes34 wrote:Thankx

I thought I was there!

Are you going to the Atlantic City Indoor Car race? ...Me, Bruce, Bill & Ed will be there!

I am gonna start getting my vee ready for the birthday party, After we get back from the "ChumpCar" race @ Road Atlanta

Hope ta see ya soon !
Glad you are planning for the BP!
I have ACIR on my sched but two big trips before to survive first. Cheers!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

High speed? Old Daytona before the bus stop on the back straight. The 2 black cars (ONeill and ?) drafting for a couple miles with a 0.82 4th gear and tall tires.
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

lanier race was a great sucess from the tracks standpoint. They got a huge crowd from the runoffs when they were expecting a slow night (I believe Atlata was in the World Series a playing that night) They invited us back the next year with much better terms(More money and better padock space) Unfortunatly the next year was a rainout and then the runoofs moved to Mid Ohio. After the big crash at IRP the Pro Vee board decided that we should stay away from Ovals because of safety.
Butch
FV since1963
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

I can tell you what started the wreck at IRP since I was there. When we started the race my car was getting looser as it keep getting darker and I almost hit the wall in turn 1 and after changing my line I started to move back to the front and I had got back to third and Greg was first with Brad second and going into turn 3 I was a car below Brad and going to pass him out of 4 and Greg came across a lapped car up along the wall and he and Brad moved down into my lane and going flat out in 4th I just lifted but just barley touched Brad in the back and he and I did a sincronized spin. As I was coming around someone ran over my nose and when I stopped spining I was stopped in the track sideways facing up the banking and remeber quickly looking right in time to see someone comeing straight at me and I guess they were still at speed and hit my right front wheel and sent me spining. When I came to a stop I was on the grass down by the wall and was reaching for my seat belt to get out and remember hearing tires squealling and cars hitting and Jeff Loughead rolled up alongside of me and his front bumped into the wall and he was unconscess and so I decided to stay in my car. The crashing continued for what seemed like for ever and when I got out of my car I was surprised at the wreckage. I think to many drivers where tranny racing and not looking ahead and just keep driving into the crashed cars. Some where probably just ahead of us and drove all the way around the track and into the wreck since it seemed to go on for ever.
My front beam was only loosely attached with 2 of the grade 5 1/2" bolts and the other two were sheared off. I also had some slight frame damage to the front and never did fix it becuase the club was making us switch to 1 3/8" rool hoops and my car was made with 1 1/4" hoops. Still have the car and will fix it someday but just made a new car at the time.
The Lanier race was great fun and I was moving up thorough the field and proabably needed a few laps to get Greg but it didn't happen as the laps ran down.
Ed
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

billinstuart wrote:High speed? Old Daytona before the bus stop on the back straight. The 2 black cars (ONeill and ?) drafting for a couple miles with a 0.82 4th gear and tall tires.
That ? would have been 2 time National Champ Don Courtney. They were a 'tag team' bar none.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Steve and all,
A few random memories:
I chickended out on the Lanier race, but watched it with Elaine and Jamie. First we saw your crash, and then we saw Bill Noble spin. Delayed yellow, as he unbuckled and sttod in the car just as Gary Cook was coming around and pointed right at him. The infield wall was just high enough to block vision for a Vee. Fortunately, Gary got it shut down and no one pile drove him into Bill or it would have sheared him off at the knees. Right Then Jamie made me promise her that I would never run an oval.
Of course I forgot that by the IRP race and was out there hanging on one car up from the back of the lead pack when I saw Ed and Brad doing their dance. I got it shut down but the one car behind me didn't, and I spun, with a folded rear suspension. Sitting dead in the water and on my belly pan, I'm watching the next herd coming right at me. I was waving my hands like crazy, and they just kept coming! FINALLY, the pack leader saw me and locked them up. I remember the sparks coming off his belly pan dragging on the track, and then there were cars everywhere. One cleared me as he rode on the fencing (!), but then I got nailed. Yeah...I was the 5th. guy to go to the hospital. Torn neck muscles, bruises, and a bent car. When I say (Mark or Matt) L.s car, I figured he was a goner. (He walked out of the hospital the next morning with blurred vision).
Ohh yeah, then I had to deal with having made that promise to Jamie....gulp.
Mike Palermo Jr.
pacratt

Post by pacratt »

You're referring to the ProVee series from the early/mid-80's, I'm assuming?
I actually have one of the original series decals. It was on the first vee I bought and Butch told me remove carefully as it might be worth something someday. I was thinking $10k... so I can afford to get back on the track next year... any takers???

...and then there was a painfully long silence in the room...

Okay, nevermind. :roll:

Glenn