Grattan and Blackhawk Farms Vee Fields

Greg Davis

Grattan and Blackhawk Farms Vee Fields

Post by Greg Davis »

I am considering trekking out to the midwest this year to run Grattan & Blackhawk Farms - specifically the July 23-24 date @ Grattan and the following weekend @ B.F. Can someone advise me, from past experience, what size Vee field can reasonably be expected for those weekends? Both are double regionals.
Matt King

Re: Grattan and Blackhawk Farms Vee Fields

Post by Matt King »

The last couple of years the FV fields have been pretty light for the regionals in Cendiv. Less so for the nationals, which typically bring out 7-10 cars. There is a National at Road America on July 23-24 too, which might affect Grattan.
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

Well the field at Blackhawk Farms and Road America will be increasing by at least 1 more at the regionals. Once I take drivers school in April, I'll be joining the ranks. So come on out, enjoy some midwest hospitality and I promise you it'll be a fun race.
Jeff
Mysterian #55
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

There were 6 vees at Grattan last year.

This year the event is being run in conjunction with Mid-West Council so that may add a few more.
Hal

Post by Hal »

At the 2010 MC race last year, first time for me and first time for MC since in almost 10 years, we had 3 Vee's and not that many cars overall, might be more this year, not sure if I am going though.Grattan is a VERY interesting and challenging track, but was a really long trip to and from and motor home problems did not help. The management locks the public restroom doors at 11 PM, and many of us went up on Thursday to take advantage of the Friday test day. Management decided to cancel the test day because there was not enough cars of any kind to pay his expenses, even though we all volunteerd to pay extra to do the day they canceled it. We all sat around on a perfect day, or went fishing like I did. Didn't catch any fish either. Although it is a great track and was good racing, it generally for me was a very bad weekend, hopefully if I go again things will work out better.

Hal
D-13 88
Citation 88
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I may do Grattan, but probably won't get over to Blackhawk if I do. I didn't realize it was so far from Grattan.
Hal

Post by Hal »

To bad Greg, I think you would really love Blackhawk, and yes it and Grattan are a loooong ways apart.

Hal
D-13 88
Citation 88
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Hal,

Is it the distance or just the fact that you have to go through/around Chicago to get there that makes Grattan "a track too far" for you?

Distance is relative. For me 5 hours has been the closest track for 8 years.
In some parts of the country, that would be close.
Bruce
cendiv37
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

Sorry. Tried to stay out of this, but,,,,,

The VSCDA FV fields at Blackhawk in June and at Grattan in August regularly draw about 30 vees. :D
Drawing participants from as far away as Florida every year. Makes Hals tow to Grattan seem like a commute.

I'll go away now.

Ricky del
Hal

Post by Hal »

Bruce, it's not so much the length of the journey altough one does get used to the about two hours or less from my place to BFR or AB, 4 hours to RA, and going around Chicago is no big thing. I didn't say it was to far but just a long trip and as to Gregs plans to do both it is a long ways between the two. I have only race Grattan once and loved the track and want to do more, and the track and the management had nothing to do with the bad trip that involved a horribly over heating motor home along with a bad alternator that had me pushing and holding the emergency start button to keep the beast running and headlights shining for a portion of the trip back. But for only around $2000...sigh... the heating and electrical is solved and have to new front brakes and shocks to boot so another trip to Grattan for me HAS to be better. Why didn't somebody tell me this racing thing was expensive....

Hal
D-13 88
Citaion 88