Let's name my car

Lynn

Let's name my car

Post by Lynn »

The car identified in my signature as a Beach 4C is not a Beach 4C. The only Beach 4C ever built by Gene Beach was a sports racer as were all the Beach 4's. It is certainly not a Beach 5. Neither the chassis nor the body look anything like a 5.

According the log book issued on March 21st, 1972 by Frank Stoddard, the car was built in 1969 by Art White. The color is given as black and red, although in the pictures it looks to be dark blue and red. The red is on the top of the body and engine cover. It has the number 26 and the sponsor OGON-CULBE done in gold leaf.

Timothy J. Culbertson is listed as the owner at the time the log book was issued. Richard E. Mishek bought the car on Nov. 16th, 1975. He sold the car to Carl A. Haas on Mar. 23rd 1979. Maybe it was a trade in on a Lola FF.The next owners name is not too legible. It looks like David A Kazniegoh. He bought the car on April 30th, 1979. On Nov, 12th 1981 the car was acquired by Bob Rans.

Mr Culbertson drove the car at the Waterford Drivers School on April 13th 1973.
James Orgonowski drove it at the WMR Drivers School date unknown
Mr. Mishek drove the carthe Mahoning Vallley Drivers School on June 5th, 1976, the NE Ohio Drivers School Jul 9th, 1976 and the WOR Games Regional on Sept. 10th, 1976.
Stephen J. Kolka or Kalka drove the car at the IRP Regional May 27th, 1976 and at Mad Anthony Regional on June 13, 1976.

In 1983 and later the car was being used for autocrossing by Jim McKamey, founder of what is now the Evolution Performance Driving School. Jim converted the car to a zero roll, added a front sway bar and designed and built a new engine cover. In 1986, the car was sold to Gordon and Mary McIndoe of Toledo. Gordon, an engineer, used a finite element anlysis program to determine where to add bars to stiffen the chassis. The brakes were re-plumbed, third gear changed, new tie rods fabbed, a new dash fabricated and the car was painted red. I think it had been all black. Both Gordon and Mary trophied with the car in DM at the Nationals.

Chris Pruett of Midland, MI bought the car in August 1991. Drew Doukas bought the car in the mid-90's. He painted the car blue, which it still is. I bought the car in April, 2006. I had the roll bar replaced with a taller bar by Izzy's Custom Cages. The pedals were replaced with Tilton floor mounts and the brakes converted from single to dual circuit with Tilton master cylinders. Late in the year, there was a wiring fire and by codriver rewired the car for 2007. A Kirkey seat and Schroth six point belts was installed along with a smaller diameter steering wheel. The car has not been run in 2008. We have had the engine from the Lynx rebuilt as a 1914cc by Archway Imports. The transaxle from the Lynx was also installed since the existing transaxle had the long axles and the Lynx transaxle seems to be geared a bit higher. Rack and pinon steering mounts were fabricated and the front of the chassis was modifed to slightly change the way the beam mounts and to lighten the car a bit. The work was done by Tuxedo Park Racing. After much expense and work the disk brakes should be done soon. The work is being done by my codriver, Andy Hohl. He has also fabbed a much lighter battery mount. Gordon McIndoe's dash has been removed to give me a little more room. The engine cover is not used due to the addition of scoops. I am not going to cut up the cover to make it fit.

Sorry for dragging the known history out so long. What I would like to know is if anyone know what Art White called his cars? Does anyone know how to contact Mr. White? I believe he may have been at the 50th anniversary of Waterford Hills this year. If I can't find out the real name of this car, does anyone have any suggestions. It's just not right to call it a Beach when Gene Beach had nothing to do with it, AFAIK.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
DanRemmers

Re: Let's name my car

Post by DanRemmers »

I have the same problem with my solo car. It's been modified so many times throughout its 30+ year life that only a few parts remain that are original (the two bottom frame rails, a couple vertical members, and maybe a few bits of bodywork).

So is it a Frankenstein, Hodgepodge, Heinz 57, Open Source?
Rich_G

Post by Rich_G »

Sue.
FM92
South Carolina Region
clubford00

Post by clubford00 »

Only if its a boy.
Dean
Real Racecars, DONT have fenders !!!
72jeff

Post by 72jeff »

anything but sue 8)
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Muttley?
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Hmmm.... How about: Son of a Beach? (SOB for short) :lol:
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

So, nobody knows or knew Art White? I know some of you are older than, uh, I mean, umm, been involved with Vees for a long time. :lol:
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

I am working on it . We think Art posted to the waterford hills bulletin board last summer in advance of the 50th aniversary race. I sent him a message with a link to this discussion. Have not heard back.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B