FV Racing Sim Development

Rich_G

Re: FV Racing Sim Development

Post by Rich_G »

Hi,

Its not my 'intellectual property' but since it was previously posted publicly for all and for free I don't mind sending you a copy of the one I have. PM me your email address and I’ll get it to you. Its about 7mb zipped.

Regards,
Rich
FM92
South Carolina Region
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

PM sent
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
fv31

Post by fv31 »

If you really want this sim to be realistic, you'll need to include lots of oil leaks and lessening visibility for the driver as the race progresses. maybe the screen could get blurry and hard to see the longer you run behind another vee. and cars will need TRW boxes that go to crap when they take a little hit.

on a personal note, due to my size, i'd have to play it after shoehorning myself into a bananna crate kept in an oven.

now that would be a realistic racing sim.

bill
fv31
AJP

Post by AJP »

[quote="fv31"]If you really want this sim to be realistic, you'll need to include lots of oil leaks and lessening visibility for the driver as the race progresses. maybe the screen could get blurry and hard to see the longer you run behind another vee.

Bill,
I bet you could "simulate" the visibility issue by taking a sip of whiskey every other lap...... :)

-Andy P.
fv31

Post by fv31 »

i've never been one to be a "gamer". if i have a little free time i tend to play internet poker. if i have more than just an hour or so i work on the car or do other things. but i do talk with people who play the sims.

i had a student in driver school once who had played racing sims extensively. he was stoked and wanted to drive a real race car. he bought a vee and went to drivers school and actually did more schools than were required. he was slow coming up to speed and had comfort issues in the car. after finishing driver school, he sold the car he had and bought a better car. he showed up at a double to get his two races in for his regional and paddocked beside me as i had promised to help him out where i could.

we went out for the first practice session, which was an open wheel all session. the field ran from vees and 500's to a couple of atlantics, DSR's, FC's, etc. i passed him on the first lap and never saw him again. when i came in after the session, he was in his regular clothes, had the car on the trailer and was strapping it down. i wasn't even out of the cockpit yet, but took my helmet off and told him to get the car off the trailer, that short of a shattered block we could probably get it running again. he said he was leaving.

i sat down with him and asked him what was wrong. apparently, he was coming down the back straight and got split by a pair of atlantics. the closing differential between the atlantics and vees is to say the least, substantial. he said "this is NOTHING like the racing sims on my computer! i'm going home!". i've never seen him again.

i think the biggest thing that can't be put across is the physical aspect....what it's actually like out there. i guess the technology just isn't there. then again...maybe it shouldn't be. what we do isn't for everyone. but that's ok. however, to make this more realistic, it would be good to have other types of cars on the track in the sim. we seldom race alone and are always the slowest open wheel group. consequently, putting options in the sim of having other open wheel car types on the circuit at the same time would be a very common situation we encounter as vee drivers. and dealing with f500's, which are wicked fast on the straights but can't handle with us in the corners is a situation we encounter constantly. also, having a very fast car (continentals, hot FF's) getting mixed up with a pack of vees in the corners is something we see a lot as well.

i don't know much about the programming aspects of making something like this sim happen, but having those things included would seem to be almost required for it to be truly realistic.

bill
fv31
clubford00

Post by clubford00 »

Now if he were playing tour of duty, and then went out into a field and we shot bazooka's at him, would he be surprised when his arms and legs were ACTUALLY BLOWN OFF?? Duh!
Dean
Real Racecars, DONT have fenders !!!
fv31

Post by fv31 »

well............the author of this post is trying to put together a sim. he's trying to gather information to make the sim as realistic as possible. but a sim is just that.....a simulation. it's not the same. and some people may confuse that. then again, some people get enough of a thrill imagining the real thing with the aid of a simulator. i'm not one of those people. i want to drive the car for real. granted, sometimes i do better at it than others....lol

for someone that has actually driven, a sim isn't even close. there's no smell, no heat, no nomex (and the smell that comes with that!), no fatigue, no long hours fixing something that's busted, no bruises, no burns, and no pain when you crash it (financial as well as physical). but it can be made into a very interesting game. i don't ever think you can make a sim the same as racing because in a sim....there's nothing to lose. maybe if when you crashed in the sim, your computer blew up???? lol

i don't think a lot of the things we as racers remember....things that stick with us...can be incorporated into a sim. but that's not what they're trying to do. but maybe the sim will interest someone enough to where they'd investigate actually doing it, and becoming a real part of vee racing. hey...we could always use a few more!

bill
fv31
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

One thing a racing sim is very good for is memorizing a track. If you've never been to a track before, driving it on a computer helps you to find apexes, landmarks, braking points, etc, assuming the model is accurate and up to date. It's a lot cheaper than renting a track.

I heard that F1 drivers do that just to get refamiliarized with the next track. (It's difficult to stop by Monte Carlo and take a quick lap of the street course.)
fv31

Post by fv31 »

that's a good point. i'd have loved to had one for barber last year.

there are certain tracks that i've ran so many times that i can do them in my sleep. and often do. when i'm laying in bed at night before the race, i tend to "drive the track in my head". i'm sure a lot of people do that. but to have the sim for an unfamiliar track would be very valuable. it wouldn't have to be a vee either.....could be anything. and with a sim, it's more engaging than just watching track videos.....so i wouldn't fall asleep!

i'm definately interested. i guess what you want the sim to do depends on what you need it for.

bill
fv31
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

If you're going to play, play big. Here's a pretty nice sim control setup.

[ external image ]

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other ... 6061la.htm

Description
This is a just completed full size Formula 1 show car, fitted with play Station 2 steering wheel and pedals, and comes complete with PS2 console and F1 06 game. The pedals are adjustable to suit drivers from 4'6" to 6'6", and the steering wheel pivots out of the cockpit for ease of access. As can be seen from the photos the car has been finished to an extremely high standard, and is ready for use. I have more photos if required, please contact me for any further queries.

And it's only 13,500 pounds. Not weight, but British money.
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

I like the Ferrari-style logo on the side. (They don't want to break any copywrite laws.) It looks like a dog with 6 legs. :shock:
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

Dan,

That's the logo for Agip, (Azienda Generale Italiana Petroli).

[ external image ]
Bob VanDyke
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

That's nothing. You should see the real simulators they use in F1. I saw one at the SAE conference in Detroit a few years ago. Imagine a cockpit on a platform mounted to a series of hydraulic actuators surrounded by a series of flat screen monitors that reacted to the actual forces on the car while driving. It was basically an automotive version of a flight simulator. That would be the ultimate gearhead toy for long Wisconsin winters!
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Anyone still have this mod available online somewhere? I can't seem to find it at any of the usual rFactor haunts...
Rich_G

Post by Rich_G »

I have it. If you PM me your email I'll send it to you - its a little more than 7mb.

If anyone else is interested I'll include it on a thumb drive for free with purchse of my solo-vee :-)

http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/v ... f=9&t=3329

Regards,
Rich
FM92
South Carolina Region
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Excellent... PM sent!

When I get my hands on it, I'll see if I can find some server space on ApexSpeed for people to download.
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Does anyone know who developed this rFactor mod, and has a contact for them? This mod isn't available on any rFactor servers anywhere, and there is no information tied to it about who did it.

I'd like to get a hold of them about getting a few things like skin templates and other details about this mod.

doug
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

Doug, I sent you a PM with the info you asked for. There is another active FV Sim being developed according to my son at:

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=23475

The guy who posted on this post as G_Toronto is the person who originally developed the FV Sim, but he quit working on it a couple of years ago and didn't want to continue.
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hmmmm.... I can drive a real FV on real tracks. If I am going to sim anything I would rather do F1 or something similar. Why not "move up" rather than sideways. :roll:
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Because a SIM gives an accurate representation of what any given track with be like with any given car. For some of us, track time is a premium that can't be bought. For me, I can put 1000 laps on Summit Point or Mid Ohio before ever turning a wheel on the track for real, and do repetitive practice a track that gives me fits, like Grattan. And with the FV mod, it gives me a FAR more realistic impression of a track that I'd like to work on than any F1 car. While the F1 cars are fun—if not tremendously difficult—to drive, they are far from useful for my practical applications.

If I have to sit inside for more than half of the year because of the dismal Midwestern weather, I'm going to do my best to not only try to stay sharp, but learn new facilities that I haven't been to yet. And I'm going to do it as realistically as I can. Right now that means a FV mod that most closely resembles my real car.
Mihelich

Post by Mihelich »

I gave this RFactor sim mod a good going through yesterday and I have to say it is very nicely done indeed.
Running at the Mid-Ohio course was very enjoyable and brought back the feel of racing my Vee for sure.
However, I really would like to insert some more modern looking Vee's instead of just the vintage ones included in the mod.
Being I can model a Vee fairly accurately (I still have all on my Vee reference material from the Protoform I raced and can use 3D Studio Max ) I thought I would do just that. I did see the SR Racing chassis dyno sheet posted in this topic a few pages back and in looking at the physics engine for the current mod I thought I would just tweek it a bit to match this dyno sheet and give it a go.
I will also be adding slicks to it also. 8)
I will be posting some updated pic's as I go.

Tom Mihelich
Last edited by Mihelich on April 19th, 2010, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mihelich

Post by Mihelich »

Here is a shot of my Vee overlayed on the mod chassis.
My plan would be to re-create the chassis from scratch.

[ external image ]
Mihelich

Post by Mihelich »

Just making sure here we have the over-all's correct to the regs.
I had to do some pushing and pulling on the reference chassis.

[ external image ]